Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me out? here is the problem I recently built my SS and had no problems for about two months, now whenever I run it after for a few minutes it slows down, then engine will still rev up normally but the truck is barely moving the first time this happened I took it apart and the clutch was just spinning inside the housing, im sure thats whats happening again but what is causing this, my spur gear is fine

·
Registered
761 Posts
Could be a number of things.

* Diff Cup Warped
* Pinion Gear Stripped
* Spur Gear Stripped, But As You Said YOURS Isnt Stripped
* Stripped Clutchbell
* Something Wrong In The Tranny

More than likely its just your diff cups are "Warped" meaning when the spider gear sits like this O----O it is now sitting with say the left gear is up a bit according to the diagram.

Pull apart the rear diff first as its easier to get to than the front and inspect the cup itself and while its out check the pinion.

ALTHOUGH...

For the entire truck to not be moving, id have to say its either spur or clutchbell that is stripped, unless you were already running 2wd and didnt realise it.... and now the other diff has grenaded.

This happened to me and i swapped a front diff in with a rear working pinion to create a rear wheel drive, although the rear diff blew up as well so thats why im guessing its probably both diffs have blown and a rebuild is in order.

If thats the case, id recommend doing the 4 spider diff mod. I think there is a link to it on this site somewhere, otherwise check out www.savage-central.com and it will be there somewhere... just search for it.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Kahn,

You say that your Supr gear is fine... but what is the slipper clutch like? At the point that it is going slow, can you spin the spur with your fingers without moving the truck? If so, it needs tightening.

If the slipper isn't right 3 things will happen:

1. <LI>Engine will rev.
    <LI>Truck won't move, or will move slowly.
    <LI>Do it for long enough and you will melt the centre out of the spur. This is not always obvious - have you checked the centre of the spur for signs of melted plastic?</LI>

I reckon it is you slipper.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey just a note semi off topic but when u got the SS.... did u get from tower?? i found that one of my rear threaded...apperently threaded support arm... not to sure how to explain but it holds the back wheels straigh.. well anyway.. one end had a thread on it.. the other didnt.. Not complaining...bit of glu fixed it for now;) new one on order from Mr HobbyMan in dandy, and threadless will be sent back to hpi for EXPLANATION. NO I DIDNT SNAP IT. its the same length as the others just it has NO thread on one end.. i no i could have threaded it myself but why should i when it should have been done!!?!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok....

Firstly Ausrc and Myself, both own a RTR .25 Savage that are both very hopped up... Ausrc even has a Picco .26 now, so his is no longer a .25 Savage.

Now your problem... both suspension arms, both upper and lower, are held in by those long pins on the inner side of each arm, and the wheel side of each arm ... im not sure.

So are you refering to the suspension arms, and what side of the arm was it non threaded inside or wheel side?

If its inside, its suposed to be non threaded because the pin simply slides through the arm and also through the bulkheads and is held on by the pin.Edited by: Star Guitar

·
Registered
709 Posts
ok part number will help u out huh... ok is listed on my order form as "HPI M4x70-steel rod PART NBR:86072. any help star? or u ausrc? is meant to b threaded... all the others were... just one end of one..make sense? was missed!

·
Registered
761 Posts

OOH i see.

This is a turnbuckle tie-rod / rear rod thingy.

i'm not sure but i think that could be a factory mistake as to why one end is not threaded, so id definatly send it back to hpi and ask them why it wassnt threaded.

When did you get this because the stock ones are all threaded, unless the threads have somehow been stripped off that end of the rod. Although i havent heard of that happening before on these rods.

·
Registered
472 Posts
have you thought that the clutch shoes might be stuffed? lol i only just savaed star guitars lol **note to self, dont set the brake so as soon as your off the gas its on...hey nick:p

·
Registered
761 Posts
Actually yes it could be also the clutch shoes, and that they might be worn down and not grabbing inside the clutchbell.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Star:

Is a factory fault. Have taken it to Hobby man in dandy an even they were amazed. just my luck to get a dud! ah well.. also wondering if the backing plate mod was done at factory... usure... may have to strip an check i thinking... but have new tierod thingy on order an Unthreaded one will be foto'd and displayed with a comparison here.. PROMISE. other than that i luv my savage. i also luv my mini t... when its goin right....

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good to hear you got everything back in order and will be running again soon.. so will i when my parts come... YAY

1 - 12 of 12 Posts