Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

my stock brakes went on me the other day so i thought i would upgrade them and i just wanted you opinion on which ones to get. I was thinking the HPI kit, but does that come with a Alloy Brake Disc adapter? What setups are you guys using?

Thanks Rodden.

·
Registered
660 Posts
i running a high proformance diskbrake and a alloy brake hub works fine for me a lot of peoplei believe have trouble with the dual disk brakes because they brake to many13 tooth pinions my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Rodden,

I am running the HPI dual setup and quite like it. You have to set it fine though as it provides extreme breaking (hence if you get it wrong, have spare 13t pinions as Savage SS suggests).

The dual setup comes with a Hardened Steel Hub/Cup.

Alternatively you could go with a Hot Bodies Heavy Duty Steel Hub/Cup and use a stock fiber brake disk. I know lots of people that swear by that configuration.

I have heard mixed reports on the Alloy Hubs (GPM, GH, etc). Wear and particularly the set screw seem to have had problems.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
660 Posts
i have GPM one,and now i justuse the stock one now because thepin that holds the brake hub in place falls out half the time giving me 2wdbecause their is no thread on the brake hub

DekeEdited by: Savage SS

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use the HPI dual kit. Its too good - will easily lock all four wheels on any surface, which can't be good for the drive line...

I just use it very carefully now as I have killed a 13t bevel gear (from braking - who knows?). Servo setup here is essential.

It comes with a metal hub,two pinscrewsand full dissasembly - installation - reassembly instructions for your savage. Just remember to loctite your pinscrew in place (as with any alloy hub) or you will loose heaps of them, and have a fwd only savage with handbrake ability!

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
IMO, the cheapest and best option is the HB steel brake hex and either 1 or 2 traxxas disks. I have 2 disks on now set up soft so braking is very progressive. It will cost less than the HPI kit and IMO much better.

The HB hex is longer(for using 2 traxxas disks) and is steel where as GPM only alloy. The HB is threaded properly so it doesnt throw pins like the GPM.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ook thanks husky i might try that but which brake pads do you use? and do you use the traxxas graphite/carbon or the stock one?

And for the dual brake disc option how many brakepads would you need 3?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Oh the HPI dual disks are stainless steel so they don't tend to wear much or absorboileither. Got WD40 on my stock disk and it never worked again...

If/when we meet up for a bash, your welcome to have a look etc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i spilt a lot of fuel on mine the other day.. is that why they weren't working... ah well. Im not avaible this weekend im going away.!
Our school holidays start early.

Thanks for the links Husky!
Edited by: rodden

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'd guess that the oil from the fuel has soaked into the disk. You could try some degreaser or electrical contact cleaner, but if yours is like mine, it was too far soaked in to be washed off with these...

I even tried sandpaper but it was never the same again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts