Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wanna know if any1 here has bought anything from towerhobbies.com

could u please tell me if u had any probs with shipping or anything like that

Iwant 2 buy from there coz i can get a savage 25 over here for $650 that's a lot cheaper than 1200$$$

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've bought tons of stuff fromTower with no problems at all. So far no grief from customs, although something as big as a Sav 25 might not slip through the net:)

I have never bought a RTR from them, however, and this is something you may want to look into - I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the frequencies are different over in the States, and when you get it back here, if the freqs are wrong then it could :

. Suffer bulk interference :-(

. Be illegal :-()

Presumably you could address this with acrystal change, but I would look into it before shelling out the big bucks.

One further point, I bought a RTR 1/8th buggy from my LHS at a shockingly inflated price compared to Tower. Since I've had it, it has been back to the importers for warranty work twice (I could have done it myself I suppose, but why should I have to for the money it cost?) and received a free"going over" from the LHS when it came back from the importers (sorted out the handling no end, it would have taken me ages of "hit and miss") . Its something to think about - it would be no fun having to return your truck to Tower, that's for sure.

Lastly, I've seen Sav's on eBay being sold be guys in ozfor much less than $1200. Of course you take certain risks with eBay as well.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought my savage 25 rtr from tower about a month ago.

I chose to go with the more expensive air shipping on the good advice

of a lot of the guys here . Igot the truck 8 days after I ordered it and it cost

around $730.00 aus witch included gst and duty tax.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
NellyNeil,

I bought my Savage 25 from Tower, as have many of us on this forum. Things to note:

1. Pay the extra and get AirMail. It is about US$50 more but you will get it in 2 to 3 weeks. If you go surface, you might get it, and if you do it will be about 90 days.

2. Customs will hit you for 10% GST on the total cost including freight.

Based in this....

$409 - $15 (Current Discount for orders over 150) + $105 freight = US$499

That makes it about $685 Aussie. Customs will take another $68.

That's how it worked for me, and must of the guys I know. I hope this helps.

Oh, almost forgot, at the moment you also get a $15 Tower Gift Voucher.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx u guys for all the advice also does it get delivered straight to your home or do u have to pickit up and if u ain't home what happens to it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wandering the same thing!

I got a letter from the local post office to pick up the package .It is alsowhere you pay the extra gst and import duty. so you dont have to worry about not being home when your package is delivered.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Frequencies on Savage 25 RTR are all 27mhz AM (one of 6 channels). You shouldn;t have any worries with interference or legallity.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whats the difference with the 27 and 29am???

also how big is the savage..?, does that explain why the postage is so much??..

Nismo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Whats the stock am radio gear that comes with the 25 like? Is it ok, or wouldI likely throw it for a more expensive FM job?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I find it fine. AUSRC has replaced his with a FM radio. I find the range good, and the transmitter has a fair number of knobs to satisfy the level of adjustment I require.

The next step up for me would be a radio that doesn't need crystal changes to change channels.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i find the stock radio alright..the MX3 is always tempting but i have to ppay schoolies off first...just memeber always pull the aerial down from the base..dont psuh from top... i know too many people (including me) who have bent the aerial being careless...also get a fail safe as AM is prone to glitching

1 - 13 of 13 Posts