Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that the original diff oil in the savage twenty fives is crap and that before the first use you should wash it all off and replace it with silicon oil 1000 weight. What are you thoughts on this?

Please give me some advice

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
the stock oil is cheap crap and not even silicone, get yourself some 35 or 40 wt silicone shock oil. If youre keen do the diffs as well(with different oil) cos the stock is also not silicone. I run 100,000 wt diff oil

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Let's just clarify, the diffs have some light grease in them stock, not oil. The shocks are filled with oil, but not silicon oil.

I run 3000wt Silicon Oil in the Rear Diff, 5000wt in the front. As for shocks, 35wt rear, 30wt front. Either way, whether you do the diffs, or the shocks, make sure you clean them out first.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
i tried the 5000 wt diff oil, after a couple of litres bashing, the oil leaks out of the diffs cos its too thin. Even 10,000 leaked out. These weight oils didnt offer much resistance to the spider gears either, they allowed too much spider movment(for my driving anyway). with the 100,000 rear and 75,000 front the truck turns much better and havnt had a drop of diff oil leak out. With 5000 rebuilds were fortnightly

cheers

·
Registered
561 Posts
You could go to bearing place like BSC and get a tube of
silicone grease called Molykote. It comes in different weights ( you
have to read the tech data inside ) and I dare say would be a heap
cheaper than the silicone diff stuff you get from hobbyshops.

Why is silicone based so important in the diffs and shocks ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts