Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

My truck is a Sav 21 (the Picco 26 is in the box, ready and waiting:). My question is this: I'm getting the pip with how often I have to replace the wretched receiver batteries. I think I could cope if the Sav wasn't such a pain to get at the battery box.

I was wondering whether any Sav owners have replaced with 5 cell NiMh pack. If so, what pack? Did it fit in the box OK? Also what charger?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Mike,

Absolutely... I bought the 1200mah Venom NiMH. Any 3 + 2 hump pack will fit straight in.

Questions:
<UL>
<LI>How are you going to charge it?
<LI>Are you still going to take the lid off to charge it?</LI>[/list]

I personally did the following:
<UL>
<LI>Bought the Hump Pack.
<LI>I already had a Electrifly Triton to charge it.
<LI>I bought the "Hobbico Switch Harness w/Charge Plug Futaba J"

<LI>I bought the Ernst Recharge Receptacle

<LI>And stuck it in the lid like this:

</LI>[/list]

If you don't want to buy the Ernst, just put a small notch in the lid and let the recharge lead on the Hobbyco Harness hang out of the radio box.

This way, you will never take the lid of again.

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Seanie,

Venom from LHS (Hobbyrama in Brisbane), the other bits from Tower. The Hobbico Harness and Ernst Plug where about US$11 for the pair. When thrown in with other bits that I bought at the time (helps to mentally distribute the freight...), it turned out really inexpensive.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me get it straight: The switch harness is a sort of a "Y" connector with a switch which lets you swap between the recevier and the charger? Is that right?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
ozdork said:
Let me get it straight: The switch harness is a sort of a "Y" connector with a switch which lets you swap between the recevier and the charger? Is that right?

Yep. The 2-pole (= 3 terminal) slider switch should be wired to switch the +ve line. Wire the battery to the centre 'common' terminal, then wire the charger to the 'off' side & the RX to the 'on' side.

You don't need anything fancy for onboard charging, you can even just rig up something simple like a common RCA panel socket & plug. With a bit of silicone sealant & a cap over it, it should prove pretty dirtproof.

·
Registered
472 Posts
just woundering if there is a really cheap charger for the 5cell pack as i dont wanna blow $50 on a charger if im only charging the hump pack on it...any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If you just want to trickle charge it overnight (= the standard 15 hr charge), you can use any DC source that supplies 45-100mAh @ 6-8V. Good choice would be a simple plug pack DC supply, like the ones used to recharge handheld dustbusters etc.

$50 buys you a fancier fast charger with peak detection circuitry etc. You need the fancy electronics otherwise you'll cook the pack.

For receiver packs its best to trickle charge them. Your radio uses a slow drain, so the battery is best slow charged.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
How long does a hump pack last? ie can you get 10hrs driving out of it??

Sorry for my ignorance, my savvy is still in transit. Logically this power pack would power reciever and servos? don't tell me you have to run two power sources...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts