Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just a quick question i have. My little problem is that theres a clicking sound everytime i roll it on the ground, like both rear wheels turning at the same time and its like clicking?

and also, i bought the VoltWatch2 on board battery monitor, and i was wondering if its possible to actually see the volts on the actual screen of the TX (futaba 3pk) its connected on channel 3 with the kill switch

thanks!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
clicking is likely a stripped diff pinion and no you cannot monitor liop voltage on the controller.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
how would i have gotten a stripped diff pinion? is it hard to change?
A number of ways. Hard to change, not really. First off, what car is it, and what type of diff is in it.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
I am guessing it is the Baja, and no not hard to change, just need a few spare hours and possibly a couple of new parts, wont know what gear is broken or chipped until you pull it down.

It could be anywhere from the Clutch Pinion/spur through the lay shaft, the drive gears inside the gearbox, or actually inside the diff itself.

Good chance to strip a gearbox and diff and give them both a big service, clean and refill.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Also a good time to check the diff outdrives, axles and dogbones for wear and replace any worn bits while you are in there, kill two birds with one stone, it is all interlinked, may as well service it at the same time

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also a good time to check the diff outdrives, axles and dogbones for wear and replace any worn bits while you are in there, kill two birds with one stone, it is all interlinked, may as well service it at the same time
Yea I bought new axels and Axel cups, might need a guide on how to pull it apart, my car is only 6 hours old :/

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Yea I bought new axels and Axel cups, might need a guide on how to pull it apart, my car is only 6 hours old :/
here is one of the best guides for working on your baja - well any RC really.......

unscrew a few things until parts start coming off, pull the parts off and when you are done with having a look and cleaning everything - put the parts back on, loctite the screws and throw them back in place

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
here is one of the best guides for working on your baja - well any RC really.......

unscrew a few things until parts start coming off, pull the parts off and when you are done with having a look and cleaning everything - put the parts back on, loctite the screws and throw them back in place
This applies to anything with nuts, bolts screws etc. Its known in the industry as "winging it".

If you think you may not remember how it goes back together take pics as you remove things and there screws. When its going back together just run backwards through the pics for a step by step guide.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
It sound like you have beatnicks. There hard to get rid of. They start off clicking and then recite weird poetry. lol

Your in good hands.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Rear wheels, rear shock support tower, exhaust, rear bumper, rear top brace, gear plate, brakes and diff

I think that's the way I'd attack it. Most of the bolts will only go back where they came from (check the length)

Don't over tighten any of the screws going into nylocks in plastic especially if you use a drill/cordless screwdriver as stripping the plastic holding a nylock will give you a decent amount of frustration

Sent from the batcave

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay guys! after stripping half the car down, the diff is out :D

now.. to find that sound.. it seems like it has disapeered? where would i start checking? inside the actual diff your the bigger cogs around it?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If you have the replacement seals, which cost about 5 bucks I think crack the diff open and clean it out - replace the oil..... Read your manual it walks you through it

I had a decent sound coming from the pink baja when a tooth snapped and decided to shrewd the rest of the internal gears to bits

Also check and clean all the bearings, replace any seized ones with good quality ones from the local bearing shop

I use ntn bearings after big kevs recommendation, but he can give a few other brand names as well

Sent from the batcave

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts

now.. to find that sound.. it seems like it has disapeered? where would i start checking? inside the actual diff your the bigger cogs around it?
Check every gear...even a tiny little speck can become a clicking noise at speed, could be as simple as a small piece of rock caught in a gear

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

Photos on here helps alot too so we can see what you got going on as well.

Good Gears

Bad Gears.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
hey guys, just a quick question i have. My little problem is that theres a clicking sound everytime i roll it on the ground, like both rear wheels turning at the same time and its like clicking?
This statement would lead me to this that the noise is not coming from within the diff itself, if both wheels are turning at the same speed the internal diff gears are not doing anything. You can check the diff by holding one out drive and turning the other, it should turn freely with no notching and shouldn't sound like a pepper grinder.

When you say the noise is gone now, what are you turning?

As you strip down, after you have removed a component you should re-check for the noise. Eg remove the spur gear, if the noise is still there when it rolls it has to be something that is still turning, once you remove the dogbones check the wheels, also turn the input of the gear box, see which side the noise is in.

Basically when a component is removed, check things both sides of it, if the noise goes completely with the component, deduction would tell you it is probably that component. By doing this you will slowly reduce the number of things to check, as opposed to having a tray of gears and components to look at with no idea where to start.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts