Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My savage ss is on its way! YAY

Just hopeing for some quick advice on a good solid radio gear without spending mega bucks.

I have been advised by the lhs to buy a Hitec Agressor CRX, which tower can get me fo about $400AU including a steering servo.

What compares to this, or what can you recommend for me? If you know rough prices that would also be handy.

Cheers, Morphy

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Morphy,

Depending on whether you are prepared to wait, the Futaba 3PM-FS is due into tower late April. This is a fully synthesized (no crystals) FM kit.

[url]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAF9& amp;P=7[/url]

I run the Futaba 3PDF which I find great, butI would now be waiting for the 3PM-FS.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im using the jr xs3 an fm radio which is also crysteless great move and you can make adjustments on the fly to braking steering and throttle payed 330 aus for it steering servo is a hitec 645 $115aus but you may want to consider the 945 definatley want a nimh battery for your truck these servo love the power and the alkaline just dont last the list goes on and on always something else needed love it tho. would reccommend beefing up your diffs b4 you even consider putting it together are you running the picco?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I am about to buy the Hitec 945 - it has serious torque - 154 oz/in at 6V. Combined with the Steering Servo mod - that should get those Big Joes turning.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not running the picco just yet, will rip through the .25 then think more power - maybe even a truckzilla kit

I'm thinking the 645 and the steering mod (do tower stock it?) - is the 945 worth the extra dosh??

Thanks for your advice leroy and ausrc - love your forum, great info and friendly ppl!

And it seems to be growing quickly!

·
Registered
472 Posts
hey what about the airtronics mx3, the sythesized version comes out next month on tower

·
Registered
596 Posts
a mate of mine has the non synthesized version of the mx3. its a very nice radio for 200 bux. the synth version should be better again. just make sure you get rechargable NiMH cells as these new radios can be battery whores

·
Registered
761 Posts
Morphy said:
not running the picco just yet, will rip through the .25 then think more power - maybe even a truckzilla kit

I'm thinking the 645 and the steering mod (do tower stock it?) - is the 945 worth the extra dosh??

Thanks for your advice leroy and ausrc - love your forum, great info and friendly ppl!

And it seems to be growing quickly!

i have a 645 mg hitec servo along with the mp servo saver mod and big joes all around, i was able to easily turn the wheels when not moving on tiles with AA batteries, with an rx pack it turns fully all the way around.

I think you will have no problems with the setup ive mentioned, depending on what tires and wheels you want since you might not want big joes, but the 645mg and AA batteries it turns fine

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers, thanks for the good advice!

My 'friend' who was going to pick up my truck and bring it back with him decided to keep it so now i'm looking again...

well at least i might have someone to race with!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey can you get a radio with a built in failsafe? It would be so easy for them to do it...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I am fairly sure that the new digital servos have a failsafe setting in them.

Only problem, you need a servo programmer.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Jiggen,

Don't know - are they built into the RX?

Obviously it would be pointless for them to be built into the TX.....

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How hard would it be for the RX to read the batt level and the signal strength and got to fail safe mode if required? - Dead easy, so some of them must do it!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
re Failsafe function.

Most PCM radios have that built in, programmed position is memorised by the RX.

Some new "digital" servos can also be programmed to do the same - some need a special handset to program them eg Hitec.

However neither will save you if your RX loses power suddenly eg battery dumping or gets disconnected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Airtronics MX-3 and the hitec 945 servo.

I have also done the steering and throttle mod to my savage SS.

The servo works a treat. Can turn my wheels on anything while standing still.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts