Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may already know I had one of my new Outback Weld rims fail a few weeks ago. The centre pulled clean out of the rim just around the wheel nut making any sort of repair hopeless.

Needless to say I was pretty annoyed as these rims were not that old (maybe 4 or 5 weeks) and of course the rim with big joes & postage from the USA isn't a cheap proposition. Then last week at Knox I seen the same thing happen to tOiletduck.

Being a person who hates getting stiffed over I have been bombarding Proline with emails and telephone calls every day. So far they haven't answered a single email and not returned any of the messages I've left on their voicemail. Had to leave voicemail messages due to the time difference thing.

Well today when I rang (again) I actuall managed to speak to a customer service representative and she was quite nice to deal with. She did admit that she had recieved my emails but offered no reason for not reponding.

Anyway the end result is that they have issued me with a Return Merchandise Authority (RMA) and will replace the rims & tyre when they get them. So I will certainly be sending them back to them.

What is really interesting about this is that she acknowledged that they are having trouble with their rims on the bigger trucks, she specifically mentioned the savage & MGT. She said they are currently developing a reinforcing kit that will work something like their spinners kit which can be retro fitted to their mambo & velocity rims to make them stronger. This kit should be out in about 2 months. She did say that it wouldn't fit the Outback Weld rims due to the different mounting nature of those rims and she offered to change all of my rims for either the Mambo or Velocity if I liked.

So they are having some problems and know about it... but they will stand by their product and will replace any failures if you return them. So good... and bad news.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
did you happen to take a photo of the busted rim before you sent it??

I'm really supprised they are swapping it. The outback weild is not a wheel made for a savage with an RB mods motor. Its made for a completly different function on the txt-1.

2c.Edited by: Morphy

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well I think the original design for the TXT-1 was for a Emaxx style
truck - and there are plenty of people who mod them to go fast, jump
etc. The Proline Outback Welds wouldn't actually be all the flash for
crawling anyhow.

I think a 14.4v modded electric truck with two hot motors could stress a set of wheels as much as a nitro.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Morphy said:
did you happen to take a photo of the busted rim before you sent it??

I'm really supprised they are swapping it. The outback weild is not a wheel made for a savage with an RB mods motor. Its made for a completly different function on the txt-1.

2c.

I haven't sent it off yet... I only just spoke to her and I'm waiting for the RMA to arrive via email. I'll take some pics before I post it.

When I told her what type of truck it was on, she did ask if I was running the adapters so she obviously knows that it's a relatively common practice.

I guess the proof of the puddingwill be in the eating. If a replacement rim/tyre arrives then all is cool, but until that ACTUALLY happens I guess it's all talk. But it's looking good so far.
Edited by: Skidd

·
Registered
761 Posts
Skidd,

No i have Velocity rims not the Outback Welds, although the same thing happened to mine.. Except the rim bent and then the middle ripped out and i dont know how it bent as i dont jump very high anyway because no where to jump and dont bother setting up ramps.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
ok.. i dont get it..

velocited.. for me look cooler.. but they are hexes..

yes i know theres an "update comming out" in a few months.. but will it
eliminate the hex problem?. surely its not a new mounting system?

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fire said:
ok.. i dont get it..
velocited.. for me look cooler.. but they are hexes..
yes i know theres an "update comming out" in a few months.. but will it eliminate the hex problem?. surely its not a new mounting system?

Well she didn't say it was a 'new mounting system'... her comments were along the lines of a mounting system like their current range of spinners that will improve the strength of the rim in the centre hex area.

As I have never seen the mounting system for the spinners I just figured it would somehow reinforce the shaft mounting area of the rim.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I spoke to her again today because I still han't received the RMA and I clarified what she meant by the new mounting system.

She confirmed that it is simply a new mounting nut that replaces the original savage wheen nut. It has a larger mating surface and so grips more of the rim and should prevent both the centre pulling out of the rims and the hexes rounding out.

After looking at a rim I picked up from tOiletduck last night, I realised that the centre mounting area is very stressed and slightly out of shape on this rim also. Not sure if it was actually one of his rims or mine but either way it doesn't look healthy. I don't think it will be long until the same happens again to that rim. So I've decided to return all 4 rims and get them replaced with the velocity 6 rims. At the same time I'm going to order a set of the spinner wheel nuts as they are similar to the new mod that Proline are coming out with.

I'll keep y'all informed as to how I go.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
well they have to do something cos their too damn expensive to go through one every few weeks...

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys... bad news and good news.

Bad news...

tOiletduck broke another of the Proline Outback Weld rims on the weekend!! A real bother and a pain considering what it costs in time and effort to get them over here. So I personally have now seen 3 rims fail and heard directly of many more.

The good news...

You may recall that I posted my Outback Welds back to Proline in disgust, well... Today I had a package arrive from Proline USA inside were 4 new Velocity rims and 4 new Big Joe tyres along with the 4 special wheel nuts that I ordered.

This is great service considering that I only posted them on27 July 04 and I had my replacement parts back on 16 Aug 04.... that's only 20 days in total, I'm very impressed with that.

I'm not impressed that the rims don't stand up to the beatings like I thought they would... but they have replaced them at no charge and airmailed them back to me. Although I am out of pocket for return shipping... overall I'm pretty happy with the way they have stood behind their product.

Just letting ya'll know what the final outcome was.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Swear they're bigger than Grp A gokart hoops.

Those wheels are big to the point of needing 4 or 5 lugnuts onto the hub.

Ideally we'd see a 3-piece wheel with a alloy hex centre spider & nylon side bead-locking parts.

Ya got any contacts in the machining trades, Skidd?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Zoomer,

Here is a link to Titanium Beadlocks

</span>matty and I have both now smashed maxamizer beadlocks
but I have to admit they have copped an absoloute flogging so I am not
all that dissapointed.

Skidd,

I had Poorline (not a typo) Velocity 6 rims and after one cartwheel out at Ipswich I
had one rim pull through the wheel nut and I severly fractured the
other one.

I am consiudering either the titanium beadlocks or the Iron Cross Alloy rims by Ramtec.

</span>http://www.ti22inc.com/products.htm
Edited by: Dan

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zoomer said:
Dan said:

one HUNDRED and NINETY bleeding US BUCKEROOOS?!?!!!!

... plus Postage and Handling, batteries not included.

Yeah... and then they still have an aluminium hex. Be my luck I'd break that and of course they wouldn't sell them seperately.
Edited by: Skidd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts