Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought a rechargeable glow plug heater...

and after about 4 uses the battery broke off the metal tubing....

anyone elses rechargeable glow plug heaterthat sh1t???

i wanna buy another one coz they are much lighter than carrying a large block of battery around.. but not if it break so easily

thx

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Buy one with a replaceable battery - the handle is the battery case. Then you can get some spare cells (or even use Duracells if you've got a C or D-size one) and saves running out of juice.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Duratrax D Cell glow starter. - cheap as... Can run alkalines in them,
or you can buy a rechargable and stick it in it. - swap rechargables if
need be.

Jerrah.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've just got a 5000mAh Nicad, and you're right - it lasts for ages. :)

Only problem is I never seem to be able to get the full 5000mAh into it
with my peak charger... Any ideas? It's just a generic $10 'yellow'
cell from Jaycar.

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
jerrah said:
Only problem is I never seem to be able to get the full 5000mAh into it with my peak charger... Any ideas? It's just a generic $10 'yellow' cell from Jaycar.

I have vowed never to buy Jaycrap again.

Any D-size NiMH cell that's < 10,000 is probably a "fake". If you open it up you'll find a C-cell inside, with padding to fill up to the bigger can. Just pickup the 2 and compare, you can feel the weight difference between a "full" cell and the fake.

You can only pump in the rated capacity when you've discharged the cell down to either 0V or below 0.8V. Anything more and the cell is still partially charged.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Where do you buy your batteries from Zoomer?

My superbrain stops discharging when the voltage drops to about
.9~1.0v... I would have thought that getting the battery entirely flat
(0v) would hurt it?

My attempt at charging it last night ended with the charger reaching
3800mAh roughly. - Still a good 1000mAh down on the rated capacity.

Padding up a C cell to D size is a bit dodgey!

With my Venom 1100mAh hump pack - first go charged to the rated
capacity no problems - same with my rotostart battery (generic 1500mAh
Nicad)

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I don't touch Jaycrap after I bought a whole swag (dozens!) of the AAs... and found several to be DOA. And the shop refused to replace nor refund - fraudsters!!

jerrah said:
Where do you buy your batteries from Zoomer?

Varies from state to state... if you can make friends with your local Battery World proprietor he is usually very good.

Or there's lots of other battery importers/distributors around too.

My superbrain stops discharging when the voltage drops to about .9~1.0v... I would have thought that getting the battery entirely flat (0v) would hurt it?

Single cells 0V is ok. What is bad is "reverse current/voltage" when 1 cell in a pack is 0V and the others aren't - the dead cell gets voltage reversed across it when the pack is drained further.

Don't store NiMH @ 0V though. Always give it a little charge before you store away.

Padding up a C cell to D size is a bit dodgey!

No it is quite common. Also you can pack an AA into a C, or a subC into a D. Very common is subC into a C too... I got some 1200 Cs when the nicad norm then was 2000.

It makes D cells cheap but... otherwise you could be paying $40+ for a single 16,000mAh D (weighs about 500g??!).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wouldn't mind the weight - it's just for my glow starter... At 16000mAh - I might only have to charge it once per month. :)

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Back when NiMH didn't exist, we parallel'd 2 D-size 4000mAh nicads together. That was enough to race an entire day with 2 cars... plus a lot of other guys who impromtu borrowed our starterbox too.

Haha I still have a battery box that holds SIX !! D-size batts in parallel. Just in case...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts