1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, my pod filter is now covered in a pretty thick
layer of dust/dirt from driving through the sandy dust crap on the road
outside my beighbours place. My question is, can this be cleaned? all I
have is the pod filter oil... do I rinse it under a tape and then
re-oil it? or is this counted as a disposable item?

I believe the amount of dust on it now is becoming quite restrictive.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yes it can be cleaned. Use a solvent to dissolve away the old filter oil and the dirt should flow away with it. Good solvents are either zippo lighter fluid & shellite, motor spray is good too; ifyou're feeling rich you can also try nitro fuel or even metho but you must wait for metho's water vapour to evaporate afterwards.

When its dry, put the sponge into a little plastic bag and drop some fiilter oil on it. Squish it around until the whole sponge is coated thru and squash all excess out. Leave it to dry a little before re-using.

Filter oil is a sticky base dissolved in a lighter solvent. Solvent makes it easier to distribute it when you apply it, then the solvent evaporates away leaving the sticky stuff.

You must always reseal the bottle properly otherwise you'll notice 60% of the contents has disappeared...

If you run out and don't want to pay your LHS $10 a tiny bottle, go visit an auto-parts shop and ask for "dirt bike filter oil". Exactly the same stuff, you get 1L for under $15 and it'll last you years even if you wash yours every week. (ALWAYS REMEMBER TO RECAP THE BOTTLE!!)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hey can you just use fuel (say from your mover?) to rinse you filter? Thats what i used to do with all my motorbikes....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a general cleaning question, how do you guys get all the dirt + road grime from the intricate steering components? is it a dissassemble required operation? or is there an easier way?

Maybe compressed air, paintbrush, some kind of cleaning liquid etc?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Buy a can of RC motor spray, its a great grease dissolver in a aerosol can. Use the pressure to blast out dirt from tight places... but also be careful as you can blast dirt *into* places you don't want it to be eg into ballbearings.

I also put shellite (zippo lighter fluid) into trigger pump packs.

Sometimes you can use petrol to clean your filter, but sometimes the petrol will dissolve the foam sponge too. So best to avoid petrol - its smelly & flammably dangerous.

Wierdest thing was... tried cleaning an original Inferno filter with solvent... and it GREW to 3x the size!! Never shrunk back to normal = Useless afterwards... had to go buy a genuine OS Engines replacement.

If you're playing in really dirty area, it is smart to use a "prefilter". Its just a sponge cover over the whole filter (don't oil it, run it dry)... buy it to suit or you can always make your own from an old thick sock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts