Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My new kyosho inferno mp 7.5 sports rtr arrived the other day and i got everything set and went out with a mate to break it in.
I filled the tank, did everything per normal andplugged my glow plug into my power panel. For some reason my power panel wasn't working and my glow plug burnt our with 12 volts of power. After switching glow plugs i went to test it again to see what was happening, After 3 melted glow plugs i switched to my battery powered 'hot stick'. The pull start was tiring my arm so i hooked up my starter box and got it running no worries, since this was the 1st tank it had hadI proceeded to let it idle. Within seconds i realised that there was nosmoke coming out the exhuast so i richened it a bit. Witha reasonable amount of smoke coming out the exhuast i thought it wasright when it started accelerating.

I was monitoring the temperature, watching that it didn't reach above 76 degreesC and i realised that it was on 68 and rising fast, I then stopped the engine with my thumb over the carby.

I stater it again after it cooleddown and it seemed to be alright. It started accelerating again soI richened the idle screw a bit, this seemed to stop the problem but after a few seconds it started spluttering and then it stalled.To add to my bad luck my Glow Plug Heater went dead andso did my mates, to add to the confusion ibroke my starter box.

I rang my local r/c guru to see what i shoulddo next and he told me todrain the fuel out of the tank and start it againto getrid of the remaining fuel. Idrained the fuel from the tank but i had no glow plug heatermy mate got 2 AA batswe rigged them to heat the glow plug, this wasn't starting the car so we tried tofix my started box, we had to getrid of the switch andhook it directly up to my 12 volt battery. We tried using this to startthe engine but it wouldntgo so i rang my guru again to find another way to rid my engine of fuel

He told me to remove the plug, flip it uside down and pull the pull start, then put a few drops of oil in and let it sit. i did this but now im dreadingwhat to do next, i will be going camping the day after next and i will be working all tomorrow so i dont know what to do, how long could i let the engine sit like this for?
I realise now that i should have let the engine run on its own but its a bit late for that now. I reset the engine to factory settings before i started it and i reset them again after i packed up for the night, but when i restart the engine should it just let it go or should i attempt to tune it?

I need help desperately

what should i do next?
Sorry about the lond post, Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
Its normal for engines to sometimes rev up high while being broken in, its just a matter of getting the settings at a nice spot. I'm not much for tuning, so ill let the other guys answer that part.

I dont think tipping out the fuel would do anything though, i mean its only gonna get another tank of fuel pushed into it in a few days...

·
Registered
793 Posts
i would reset the carby needles to their break in settings, and check the engine for an airleak, check that the backplate screws are tight.

I would charge the glow plug ignitor and get that starter box working, their are a few tips on starting the engine while its cold, loosen the glowplug a tiny bit, and heat up the block with a heat gun or blow drier. Once the engine fires tighten the glow plug.

Check that the gap between the carby andthe sliding barrel in the carby is no more than 2mm. Its proballynormal to reach 210 degrees FARENHEIT while breakin, just insure that there is blue smoke and some oil dripping out from the exaust.

I think the best way to remove the excess fuel in your engine is to remove the fuel feed line that connects to the carb, remove the glowplug (ensuring the area around the glow plug is clean), turn the car upside down, and pull the pull starter. If you dont use a pullstart, place a paper towel over the engine head, and turn the engine over with the starter box.

When the engine is clear of fuel and your ready to start it again, place your finger over the exaust and crank it over until you hear it fire, then immidiately take your finger off from the exaust.

Ensure that your fuel isnt old, and hasnt lost its quality (it happened to me once). I also think the best way to shut your engine off is to either carefully squeeze the airfilter, or block the exaust.

I hope this helps you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Smoke coming out of the exhaust is not blue, its grey, my normal moke colour and i only saw smoke when i richened it from factory the factory settings.

I only had a 1mm gap in the carby, not sure about the oil dripping from the exhaust though, didnt check that.

Do you think this would have been enough to damage my engine? And how long do you think i could leave it to sit with the oil inside it? Im going camping for four days and i wont be able to do much until then.

Thanks Peeps

·
Registered
793 Posts
it shouldnt have harmed your engine. It depends what oil you put in it, if its a thin oil like After run oil or transmission fluid, or even wd-40, suposedly it should be fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, the air filter has a plastic dust cover over it so I cant squeeze it, i just rip it off and put my thumb on it or block the exhaust

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iwas actually worried about the engine being damage because i stopped the 1st break in tank after only about a minute

·
Registered
793 Posts
as long as you didnt get crap in your engine, high temps etc it will be fine. How high did the engine rpm go?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean, Didn't get that high, i just stopped it because i dint want to stuff my new engine, duno what i was thinking about on the other post, sorry

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
dont squeeze the airfilter, you temporarily distort the filter and risk sucking dirt down the carb into the engine. same goes for plugging the carb to prime or stopit, coz itcan suck fine dirt particles from your finger..

for priming, the previously mentioned plug the exhaust tip breifly works great especially if you have a starter box.

To stop it you can pinch the fuel line and run it outta fuel, or put your thumb on the flywheel thru the bottom of the chassis. it will not hurt, as it only takes a breif bump to stall these tiny engines. You stop it mid-stroke with the perfect amount of fuel to fire straight back up again, and there is no risk of harm to your engine.if its revving outta control use the tip of your shoe because pinching the fuel line at high revs is a bad thing for th engine but you probably already know that.

heres some basic tuning tips incase you need them. Expect the engines tune to change as it goes thru break-in.. it should be running sweet after about 1 litre (average guesstimate)

if the idle increases, richen the LSN

if the idle decreases/drops, lean the LSN

if your engine stalls when off throttle, increase idle a bit.

if its REALLY boggy, lots of smoke, and squirting fuel when taking off, lean the lsn a tad.

while accelerating if it stutters + dies, or has a misfire sound, it could berunning lean. Edited by: Oblivion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts