Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i have evo2 and need gear ratio from 1:6.7 till 1:7.8

how is that possible...the biggest spur for evo2 is 88 and the smallest pinion is 34...and that is1:6.73 ratio.so it would be nice to have pinions from 30-33...BUT THEY DONT EXIST!!!???THERE ARE PINIONS FROM 20-29 BUT RATIO W 29 IS HUGE...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!HOW TO GET 6.7-7.8 RATIO????!!!I DONT THINK IT IS POSSIBLE THAT TAMIYA DIDNT MAKE PINIONS 30-33.....NO WAY....I HOPE!!!!???

THANK YOU!

G

·
ok, try asking around at a LHS for pinions in thats size, 30-33....put make sure the mesh is right..

i am sure there is a pinion out there by a different company, just
look...i know i got a pack of 22 and 23 pinions to fit the TL01
cheap...and they werent tamiya..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If you're using the 0.4m gears (metric pitch Tamiya gears), the smallest Tamiya 0.4m pinion available is 34t - nothing smaller. (Appears that 88t is the only spur gear for TB??) However you can also use 64dp imperial pinions from other manufacturers... they are not 'exactly' the same as metric 0.4m, but they're close enough to work & they do sell them smaller than 34t.

Other Tamiya alternative is to use the 0.6m AV spur gears from the TB-01; these have larger teeth that may be better if running in dirty carparks. Definitely you can get the ratio range you're looking for (range from 6-10:1 I think), but you'll also have to buy a new set of 0.6m "AV" pinions. Again these are metric, BUT you cannot mix these metric AV gears with imperial 48dp.

You can also use the 55t 0.6m AV spurgear from the F201 I believe, same thing.

Another option to keep an eye out for is a 3rd party option that allows you to mount industry-standard spurgears to the centre shaft. If you can find this, you can use any spurgear that is available in 48dp or 64dp. Of course you'll have to use the correct imperial toothsize pinions to suit the gear.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah, that was 1 of the few reasons I never owned an Evo I/II.

The EvoIII is different, it comes with a 'universal' spurgear adaptor that takes standard gears - I usually use 48dp imperial gears. But yeah, if forced to use Tamiya-only products, the gearing issue does raise its annoyingly ugly head again.... like when running the SuperMod 11T motor on a tight small track.

Don't know of any other companies that make 0.4m (tiny teeth!) pinions, but maybe they might exist outside if Oz. But luckily 64dp imperial works well enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok..thanx guys ill try mixing with hpi 64p...they have 30,31,32,33...

i dont belive that tamyia can do a sh*t that big...impossible...like it is a big problem to make 30,31,32,33...IDIOTS they have 20-29 and 34-50...and coulnt make 30-33.....IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!ahhhh

what do u all think to take spur 72(i have it) and cut it around a bit so it doesnt have teeth and then make few holes and then tighten etc.hpi 87 spurbig tooth(46dp or somethin)on tamiya spur and use hpi pinions(they have all the pinions...)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yes....there is no spur gear with bigger teeth for tb01....just 88 and 72 in 0.4p

if i use 64dp from etc..hpi will it destroy my spur?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Perhaps its the main issue thereis due to space, any bigger on the spur and it'll be dragging on the ground?
There is a limit to everything...

What you need is Tamiya spareparts#50860 TB-01 G-Parts (Gear), for the standard plastic TB-01. This gives you 55T, 58T & 61T in 0.6m 'AV' spurs.

With the TB-01 parts, you can make everything from 5.72:1 (25/55T) to 9.91:1 (16/61T), but you'll need to buy 0.6m AV pinions of course.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
What are these 0.4m pinions <30T that you're talking about by the way? I cannot find them on the Tamiya list, do you have their part number? (I can only find 0.4m pinions in 34-51T.)

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
No, don't bother trying to clamp another spur gear just like that - it transmits much more power than you think. If you want to use a std gear, either try to find the 3rd party option "spur gear adaptor" part for EvoI/II or try to find someone who can machine something on a lathe for you from metal.

G

·
try to find someone who can machine something on a lathe for you from metal.

gee you must have deep pockets....

just find some after market stuff....im sure you can find some on the net

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yep - Imperial 64dp pinions will work acceptably with 0.4m metric, that's what our boys here use all the time. They will not chew up the spur when properly meshed.

But check the HPI pinions closely, they usually have a very long shank (the bit where the grub screw sits). HPI & Yokomo belt cars used to need this long shank as their spur gear was very far away from the motor plate, but it may be too long for a TB. Try finding other brands with a shorter shank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is 53102 and 53103...

where can i find the picture of g parts 53860...i need to know the dimensions of spur and pinions...are u 100%sure it will fit on evo2...

what pinions should i use then...25 or 21...i am not sure if that is posibble cuz maybe motor will touch drive shaft...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
You aren't getting the base idea
... 0.6m gearteeth are BIGGER than 0.4m.

61T @ 0.6m is the biggest spur that's gonna fit in that hole.

A 25T 0.6m pinion is about the physical size of... oh ~45T 0.4m pinion.

Yup, TB-01's 0.6m gears will fit directly without modification into an EvoI & EvoII.

Not EvoIII (which doesn't have that problem in the 1st place).

G

·
You aren't getting the base idea

just a bit slow mate..we arent all as knowlegable..is that a word
..as what you are...

i bet you where asking a bucket load of q's when you started, i know i
did...and still do, its the only way to learn stuff right..though if
you car starts on fire or you see smoke, or the car goes in reverse
when you pull the trigger then its got a prob..

heck, im still lost on what all this gearing stuff is, i just GO INTO
THE LHS and ask for a bigger or smaller pinion and show them the one i
got..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nismospeed said:
try to find someone who can machine something on a lathe for you from metal.

gee you must have deep pockets....
just find some after market stuff....im sure you can find some on the net

Surprisingly, if you know where to ask for exactly what you want, machining isn't very expensive. It would be a pretty simple job on a shop lathe.

The aftermarket EvoI/II spurgear adaptor is long discontinued by the option part makers and would be rarer than Fat Cat's teeth. They also were not cheap to buy when new either. If you can find one today at any price, grab it immediately.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you very much

i race 1:10 electric for 2 years now and 2 years ago was 2nd in croatian champinoship and last year i have won it ...in low budget car class

that is class where there is no hi volt matched packs and we drive with the maximum 200watt motors...i drove with lrp v10 13t...around 175w

i had hpi sprint(BAD VEHICLE)and still have it...thats why i suggested to clamp hpi spur and use hpi pinions cuz i have them plenty;)

now i transfered in open class and theseason will start in a month...there will be about 10-12 racers from slovenia and austria....

so i will buy hi volts matched and reedy 10 or 12t...and evo2 is car that can handle that kinda power...hpi sprint cant...

thanx guys u helped me a LOT...

1 more question....i have one way diff in front and i dont like it...i have to brake w rear wheels only..

there are 3 tracks in croatia...2 small(30m straight)and a lot curbs and 1 big(80m straight)and big curbs ,but they are all medium grip so hard braking is a MUST...

on the big track u brake from 30m small straight part from 75kmh to 20-15kmh and enter 180 curb...and then again....

that would be hard w one way(impossible)so i would like to put standard diff..not ball...from tb01 in front

is that possible?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts