Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having problems with tuning my Inferno RTR Sports.

I have set the HSN to about 3.5 turns out. As i am still in run-in mode. I beleive that the optimal point is about 2.5 turnswhen it is fully run in- is this right?

However when i run the car for about 5 minutes or so, the car starts to move from idle by itself, at a pretty fast pace.....even with my throttle trim fully off (the carby shows about .3mm) which is correct and i havent changedthe factory throttle adjustment on the engine.

What i did change however, was the LSN.

What do i need to do with the LSN?

Does anyone know the factory LSN setting?

thanks for any advice for a newbie

kev

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Kev,

When you say you changed the LSN, did you lean it? Leaning the LSN will increase your throttle speed.

Couple of questions, are you monitor temp during run in? If so, what temp is it running at?

You can do one of to things, richen the LSN or adjust you idle screw. Gut feel since you have adjusted the LSN, is richen it up a touch.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AUSRC said:
Kev,

When you say you changed the LSN, did you lean it? Leaning the LSN will increase your throttle speed.

Couple of questions, are you monitor temp during run in? If so, what temp is it running at?

You can do one of to things, richen the LSN or adjust you idle screw. Gut feel since you have adjusted the LSN, is richen it up a touch.

Regards,

AUSRC

Howdy. Thx for ya reply.

I did lean it, then richen it, then leaned it, and now i forgot wat factory setting was.....

the prob is that, when i richen it, i find it hard to start, coz it seems to bog.

i havent tested temps yet.... but when it does get hott... the car then starts to move by itself.... is that an idication that the car is too hott...

anyway.. i will try richen the LSN such that it wont run move itself... and it will hopefully still start fine....

thanks 4 u re help

kev

·
Registered
472 Posts
that just means it comming up to temperature, richen the lsn up a little and back out your idle screw just a lil. this fixed my s25 back at the start when it was doing the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is very frustrating, coz when the wheels spin itself... i then richen the LSN...it only stops moving byitself wheni richen it so that the screw is about 1mm PRODRUDING... whereas the manual says it should be 0.5mm INSIDE.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kevin,

I have one of these cars myself. The LSN setting is described precisely in the manual. Set it to thefactory setting and forget it. Then:

Close the HSN, then wind it out a good 4 (yes FOUR) turns at least.

Turn onRx and Tx.

Check that transmitter throttle trim is centred.

Check that the throttle servo is centred.

Remove the air filter and adjust the idle so that there is millimetre or so showing. Prime it as per manual then pop the AF back on.

Keep your idle adjustment screwdriver close by :)

Start it up (others may disagree but Istartup with the wheels off the ground).

If it starts but revs its tits off, get your screw driver andadjust the idle till it is *just* running. Run for10 or twenty seconds, continuing to adjust the idle till you're happy - engine ticking over, wheels stopped, or spinning very very slowly.

If it won't start, then try increasing the idle speed a little and repeat the previous step.

When you've done this, the idle should be fine. In subsequent starts all you need to do is increase the idle by using the throttle trim on the Tx, then when she fires, you can gradually move the trim back to neutral, knowing that everything was set up OK previously.

With 4 (yes four!!) turns out on the HSN it should run happily, but be pretty smoky andgutless. That's OK for now. Drive it around like this a while.

Eventually you can start leaning the HSN for performance. I can guarantee you that the 2.5 turns suggested by the manual is pretty lean, and, in my opinion, TOO lean. I think more like 3, 3.25 turns is safer, with acceptable performance.

Lastly, I suggest you junk the supplied glo plug (its probably half cactus already) and pop in an OS A3.

Good luck, they are a pest when you're starting off, but they go great when you get it all sorted out!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Ozdork,

Thanks for that, there is nothing like have the same kit.. we can all speculate but actual experience is best.

For break-in I always have the wheels of the ground. Better to have the wheels turning thanto haveclutch half engaging and getting the clutch bell mighty hot. I have seen blokes melt spurs during breakin because the clutch bell got so hot.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
202 Posts
No Worries Boss, my pleasure, hope I helped

The Ky Inferno can be a heap of fun, but they have some initial "quirks" in the engine and clutch department (at least:)and you have to learn their ways. Unlike my Savvy and TGSwhichworked OK pretty much since day one (uh ohh ... shouldn't have said that:).

The Inferno Sport'shave somegood quality gear in them (despite the poo poo 'ing by the Kanai crowd), and they are top piece of kit for mucking about with race potential if you want to head that way, but the quality of the build is not as good as the quality of the components. If I were getting another buggy, I would get the kit, not for the better components, but because I think I could build it better (and I'm sh*thouse, so that's saying something).

When you get them right, or for that mattereven *almost* right, they are good fun. They'll do (with good and careful driving) 75% (maybe more) of what a truck will do off road, but with road and hard track performance that leaves a truck for dead.

My favourite place for my Inferno is the local baseball diamond. I sort of time myself from a standing start on home plate round to a full stop on the run-off area at third, then back again to a full stop at home. The speed before I hit the anchors at third is just phenomenal. Running compromise street/track tyres it spins all four the whole way around almost. Great fun, so I hope Kevin hangs in there.

When Kevin gets his sorted out in the engine deparment, the next thing he may find is the need for tyres. It was a source of great satisfaction to me the day I picked my Inferno up after seeming to lose front end traction to find both front tyres in ribbons, virtually disintegrated, with shreds just haning onto the rims where glued - as Cartman would say, "SWEEEEET!"

My Inferno drove me to distraction initially (like Kevin) but they are worth persisting with!

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts