Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys this is going to be my first body ever painted, pick up the spary can's today, do u guys know any tips for paintinga body? and what to cut them out with? it is 0.60 lexcan i think it is pretty strong.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I cut mine out with a jug saw

Put the spray cans in warm water for 10 mins before spraying, it gives em more presure and a finer spray. Do a few light coats
. What colours you end up getting?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what sticky tape should i mask her with
ok purple and black, purple body and black racing stripes will look fully sick mate

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Fully sick huh....
I went to a paint shop and got the thickest, widest tape i could find. Press the edges of the tape down firm otherwise paint will seep under. Make sure you mask everywhere you dont want paint, seems obvious but i learned the hard way

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok to i cut the body out first them paint it, with drilling the holes what will give me the best result?? and cutting out the place for my engine.

thanks husky for your help
FULLY SICK VLBRO

·
Registered
477 Posts
a fine hole saw will be the best for the engine!! it has to be fine though.. if its a rough hole saw then it will chew it all up.. so use a fine one!!

for body post holes and that i just used a normal drill bit..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do i cut it out first then paint it or cut it out after i painted it

cheers

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
i paint then cut. Make sure you mark the body post holed on top first, trust me its a lot harder to do it sfter painting

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry i dont get what u r saying

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
sit the body on the truck and mark where the post holes are. Mark the top of the body cos you will be painting the underneth. My hummer has holes indented though. Once you have painted it then cut it out

·
Registered
405 Posts
Savage SS said:
do u guys know any tips for paintinga body? and what to cut them out with?

Not that I've destroyed that many bodies yet. I found the easiest way to do my body was:

1. Cut out the body with a pair of curved Lexan sissors roughly.
  2. Using a reamer - ream body post holes and around where the engine hole is.
  3. Dremel the body to finish it off and complete the engine hole.
Can't afford a 'real' dremel? I got hold of a SuperWorks from
Supercheap for $40, and I've seen a similar one in a Dick Smith
catalogue for $25.

To paint the shell:- I just laid down a heap of newspaper (somewhere
with lots of ventilation but still air). Painting the inside of the
shell, thin light coats.

I used two colours - Tamyia Metalic red and Tamiya Metalic Silver as a bottom coat. I think it turned out quite well.

After painting - just pull off the protective covering.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
hmmm yes ventilated area. I painted the cadillac the other night in the garage(closed)
oops

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Husky the jigsaw did u use that then sand it with some sand paper to make it all nice, how do u cut out where the engine is, do and one have a reamer that i can use on sunday

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what else could i use to cut out the body i dont really trust myself with a jigsaw.ive tryed every sissors in the house there r allsh*t for cutting this body it is too thick

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
???????????????????? Ive only ever used a jig saw. Maybe sewing scissors or something

·
Registered
477 Posts
Savage SS said:
do i cut it out first then paint it or cut it out after i painted it

cheers

i paint first...then cut...coz u dont wanna scratch the inside of the body b4 u paint!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts