Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this charger I won off an eBay auction, took it home last night, and made a couple of tiny mods.

1) I properly removed thecigarette lighter adaptor, and soldered on the alligator clips to the power source leads.

2) I installed a cpu cooling fan to the heatsink inside the case, and ran the leads to pcb where the power source leads are soldered - nothing fancy.

I then went to test the charger - for the first time (should've tested it FIRST), and a massive arc came from the clip when trying to hook it up to my 12v car batt. I removed the fan, incase that was causing a short.. but again, a massive spark when trying to hook it up. Something's shorting out in it!! Anyone else had this experience?

The bloke seemed honest and we chatted about r/c for 20minutes, and I have contacted him about it. He has about 10 of them. Just waiting for his call..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just had a thought!! I think it's the metal case touching the car body!! that would cause a short.... will see.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn.

Actually the charger touching the car body, shouldn't cause a short. If made properly, the case should be earthed.

Anyhow the dude who sold it is comming round to have a look at it... see how we go.

G

·
yeah, mine just competly died, smoke and all, hmmm could smell burnt something in my room for an hour afterwards...

was not happy, paid $70 for charger that blew after 20charges or so

Nismo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.