Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm a dumbass because somehow I managed to get WD40 or oil on my original brake disk and its gone to the sh*tter now. Brakes are almost nonexistant. Just wondering if anything - maybe nitro fuel? - will remove the WD spray and allow it togrip again? I have an upgrade kit for the brakes - just don't want to pull it apart and swap them over just yet. That will have to wait for the weekend.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Just squirt it with motorspray (or electrical contact cleaner, or aerosol 1:1 brake cleaner, or even 1:1 carby cleaner spray).

Or just scrub it with good old dishsoap & water - best degreaser there ever is, just gotta protect your electronics from water & wait a while for it to dry.

Nitro fuel has 20% oil in it. Even the volatile nitro & methanol evaporates, that leaves you with 100% oil. Its a lousy degreaser!

But oil shouldn't affect your brakes so badly... maybe make it 1/2 strength. Sure its not something else? Check the linkages etc.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was cleaning it all up - spraying the cups with WD40 then relised i had just sprayed the one with the brakes! Stupid idiot...

And yeah its made a sh*t load of difference - will coast like 10m under full breaking. Well at leat i'm not doing endos down hill anymore...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hopeing that whould happen, 4 tanks of fuel latter, even bashed for two tanks on the beach and still no brakes!

Its just a pain in the ....

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
RC brakes probably don't get hot enough to burn off the oil like a 1:1's brakes. (have come 'close' to melting a plastic disc before, but that's it)

But some porous 1:1 brake pads will never regain their original grip once they've been soaked in oil/grease or brake fluid. New pads always best.

I always carry a small can of Zippo fluid, that'll beyour best tool for that job.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How bout butane? Have a few cans of that around?
Could always get out the blow torch....

OOPS was that the piro in me?Edited by: Morphy

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
whoa, ANOTHER bloody pyromaniac???

No butane don't work for degreasing. It don't hang around long enough as a liquid to do anything, if it did it'll just dump all the picked up oil when it evaporates.

Zippo fluid (= Shellite) is a great degreaser.

(Works better as a firestarter too, less smelly than the Redhead liquid or diesel or kero. Also more controllable than petrol, that just tends to go "whooof".
But only when there's enough air... too rich it no go woof.)

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I would have thought brake cleaner and a light touch of emery paper would do the trick. If you can't find emery paper then the wifes nail file will work just as well... LOL, and the look on her face when she goes to use it again will be priceless.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL you should have seen her face when I stole her tooth brush for the savvy! Damn I need to carry a cammera more often...

(Its all good - I bought a new one and stole her almost dead one. Just forgot to tell her about it....)

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Morphy said:
LOL you should have seen her face when I stole her tooth brush for the savvy! Damn I need to carry a cammera more often...

LOL... you I 'borrowed' the dish washing brush... it's like a little scrubbing brush with a long handle. It was the purfect thing after a weekend of mud bashing, fortunately she is happy to humour me about my new hobby at the moment. I'm not sure how long her humour will last, but I'm betting not very.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts