Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, is there a shelf life for fuel at all? As in does it or can it go bad?? Also ar there any brands of nitro that are better to run with than other? Thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey mate, I believe it does, or atleast it can if not kept in the right conditions.

I had half a 4ltr bottle from a heli sit for about 4 weeks and the heli wouldn't run when I tried to use it again. I bought new fuel and the heli was fine.

Cheers Dave.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Exposure to air, water and high temperatures will cause it to break down and be less efficient.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
As lng as the container is 100% airtight and kept in a cool place out of the direct sunlight you should be fine. I have some NitroX fuel that is over 6 months old and it was still fine when I used it the other weekend. In summer I used to keep nitro in the garage beer fridge.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
As lng as the container is 100% airtight and kept in a cool place out of the direct sunlight you should be fine. I have some NitroX fuel that is over 6 months old and it was still fine when I used it the other weekend. In summer I used to keep nitro in the garage beer fridge.

I've had fuel sit in the shed for 12 months+ when i had a break from rc and when i got back into it the fuel was still alright, had to adjust the tune slightly but all good. Now i have an esky that sits in my workshop out of the light on the cement floor to keep it cool when the weather warms up and to keep it out of the sun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So being opened for a while and sitting there should be okay if sealed for the whole time?

Is there anyway to test it other than try it with a motor? Is there better brands of fuel out there vs. others in Oz?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So being opened for a while and sitting there should be okay if sealed for the whole time?

Is there anyway to test it other than try it with a motor? Is there better brands of fuel out there vs. others in Oz?
Should be if you remove the extra air from the bottle and have stored it out of the light. I generally run Nitro-X or Redback Racing fuel, and have never had a problem, some motors have 25+ liters on them without rebuild.

To test it, drink it :D :D nah not really, the only way to test is to put it in the car and try, worst it will do is run like crap or not at all, if it wont run swap to some fresh fuel to check your tune and if its not that you know its the fuel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should be if you remove the extra air from the bottle and have stored it out of the light. I generally run Nitro-X or Redback Racing fuel, and have never had a problem, some motors have 25+ liters on them without rebuild.

To test it, drink it :D :D nah not really, the only way to test is to put it in the car and try, worst it will do is run like crap or not at all, if it wont run swap to some fresh fuel to check your tune and if its not that you know its the fuel

LOL I don't know what outback town you're from mate!

Thought maybe it went off colour or something. But no worries all good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The nitro in fuel attracts moisture so I dunno bbout putting it in the fridge LOL

Maybe freezer alittle better

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Three basic components to nitro hobby fuel. Nitromethane, methanol and oil. Nitromethane is hygroscopic (spell???) which means it atracts and absorbs water. If it absorbs enough water it will not want to burn anymore. That is why it is important to to keep the container 100% airtight. Another reason is the methanol. As we all know alcohol has a rapid evaporation rate it will quickly evaporate and leave you with fuel that either wont work or make your engine run very hot. (methanol helps keep the engine cool) Oil......well not much will happen to it.

I have always kept my nitro in the fridge. As long as the bottle is airtight it will not absorb moisture and much less chance of any significant evaporation of methanol. If you keep your nitro in a warm enviroment you will notice the botle will pressurise. This is cause by the methanol evaporating (turning from a liquid to a gas). When you open a botle like that you will imediately loose some of the methanol content. Thats why I keep them in the fridge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts