Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at investing in some NiMH batteries, and am curious about which packs are good and which are crap ? I've heard Orion rocket packs are crap. Is there a particular type of cell to pick eg: Sanyo, Panasonic, GP ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Rizza, are you talking about cells to make up a pack to run an electric car from or AA's for a receiver pack?

If it's AAs then my preference is Jaycar - they have some 1650mAh batteries at a good price and you can either make up your own battery pack, or get a 4xAA battery holder.

Recharging is pretty simple too with either a charger from Dick Smith, Jaycar or even one of the Ansman/Omni chargers (which I happen to have a couple for sale). I've switched to the Omni because it can charge from 1 to 10 batteries at a time this way whereas my old & more expensive charger can only do 2 or 4 at a time and can't do 1 on its own!

If you're talking ~7.2V packs for electric then I've heard the Sanyo & GP cells mentioned around the traps, but I think it might be important to get them matched to have the same voltage, otherwise one battery spends its time trying to charge the next. Or something like that.

Cheers, Oggy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have used orion rocket packs (2400 mah, nicd) for my old electric stadium truck and they work fine, although you didnt mention what the batts will be used for... radio, reciever/servos?

If your going for reciever packs, i use a trinity monster pack or something, its $24.99 u.s off tower and mine has lasted ages without being recharged but i am charging it tonight.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 2400 Nicad Rocket Pack in my Traxxas E.Ruslter and compared to traxxas packs they are great.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
RiZZa said:
Is there a particular type of cell to pick eg: Sanyo, Panasonic, GP ?

Current lot of cells are a toss between GP & Sanyo. Panasonic dropped out of the RC market after their 3000s which didn't survive very long.

Of the 2... currently racers favour the GP over the Sanyo, mainly on price I think - Sanyos are usually a little bit dearer. GPs work well, recently they brought out some "short" cells which didn't work as well but I think they've all been pulled by now. Other cells in favour are the Epic 'Zebra' labelled GPs.

Important - you NEED a charger that can do NiMH before you buy some. Do not use a charger that handles only nicads.

Also NiMH hate being overcharged... which suggests that if you cannot use side-by-sides and have the ability to use a "tray" (discharger that does each cell individually, so all cells keep in sync), its best not to use NiMH in stick packs.

Sanyo 2400s are the best nicads available, and for general running there's not much difference from them an average set of 3000 NIMHs. 3300s are punchy and reliable, but need treatment with kid's gloves otherwise they die eg most don't charge them more than 2x a day. 2400s take bashing "abuse" the best, if you want batts that last a decent while.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought NiMHs could be charged more than twice a day ? And don't develop a memory ?

·
Registered
332 Posts
my team orion2400mah nicd only lasts around 15 mins with my 15T motor...which is dead
...still waiting for nismo to send me my deans...errr...

ahhh new emotions..how cool LOL...

anyways should i see more or less run timewith the5800 novak brushless system?

doh! just noticed my avatar is gone..
Edited by: migoreng

·
Registered
332 Posts
ahhh yes my focus is back in the avatar
lol your cat

what is this memory effect? please explain

G

·
OI dont mock me cat...though she does look a bit drunk..i did say no beer..ahwell

i think memory effect is when ahhh i dunno really...lol...something to do with it can cause glitching and stuff??....i dunno..

i read it somewhere before, but forgot!!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
RiZZa said:
I thought NiMHs could be charged more than twice a day ? And don't develop a memory ?

Last things first... "memory effect" in any RC battery is overstated, as you're always running the battery flat each time anyway. And even if you did stop playing at half-charge, you'll never do it to the same level repeatedly all the time anyway. ... ergo, most ppl don't even understand memory effect.

NiMH can be charged as often as you like I guess... but just might not get the best performance on raceday.

First charge is usually pretty lacklustre... car feels sluggish, battery is asleep... usually don't get good voltage but capacity is there.

Second charge of day... hey, battery wakes up!! Voltage is good, capacity is there too... this is the best run.

Third charge... voltage (with this I mean "peak voltage") is lower than #2 and also capacity starts dropping. It goes downhill from there.

But then if you store them flat (.9V/cell) for a few days... they revive!

Most racers have enough packs to run them max twice a day. That's why you can find used batteries sold by the racers might be 3-6mths old but they've only really used them about 10-20 times.

NiMH are finicky beasts, I still don't recommend them for bashers.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
migoreng said:
anyways should i see more or less run timewith the5800 novak brushless system?

If you get the gearing spot on, Novak SS5800 runs about 20-25% more efficient than a crazy mod of say9-10 turns.

But if you get greedy and try suck more speed out of it by gearing even higher, BL can suck a 3300 dry in < 3 mins and the car ain't even noticeably faster. All that energy has to go somewhere... clocked the ESC's heatsink at 125degC!!!

G

·
can you still buy 2400's at all

i want to get a few packs, i know a 1700 will last 5 mins race with a stock silver can motor....

but will a 2400 last a 5min race on say a mod motor around the 16t area???

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
2400's are still for sale here in perth. only problem is the sanyo 2400'scost more than a matched pack of KMR gp3300s 1.15

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nismospeed said:
i know a 1700 will last 5 mins race with a stock silver can motor....

In a M03 mini, can run TWO 5m races with a 1700...

but will a 2400 last a 5min race on say a mod motor around the 16t area???

Easily; if not you gotta go ask why. (eg motor needs work, car drivetrain friction drag, not fully charged?)

Back when we raced 16x3s in Oz the best cells we had were Sanyo 2000s.

With BL SS5800 in 4WD TC, am seeing about 5m with a 1700/2000, 6m with 2400 and 8m with 3300. Consumption is like a 12t motor.

G

·
ahhhh ok,

so just some 1700 will do for stock racing atm??

i need to get atleast 3 packs , and i dont want to spend $70 a batt......yet!!

Nismo

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sheesh Zoomer, you're a treasure trove of info ! I guess i'll get my hands on some 2400 nicads for bashing and racing once a month. How often in a day, can nicads be recharged ? Can you recommend an ideal charger and discharger for under $150 ? Plus a good brand of 2400 mah ? Keep in mind, I run a Traxxas Stampede and I plan to run it with a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem stock motor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts