Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows I love my Savage, and don't believe there is a better truck around. I have sunk large lumps of cash into it and it is(in my opinion) pretty much spot on. So what now......

Today I placed an order for one of these:

It is a JR Venture 30 and the packagecomes with an OS.32 Engine, Hitec Eclipse 7 Channel Radio, 5 Servos, CSM 180 Gyro, Training Undercarriage, Setup Video, the works.

Hopefully I will have it in about 10 days time. Until then, more time on the Simulator.

Need to start an "Air" board on the forum.....

Regards,

ChrisEdited by: AUSRC

·
Registered
761 Posts
I wouldnt mind having a 1/8th Electric Helicoper... Thats if they make them, although ive seen smaller scale Helis and they were electric so im not sure on the larger ones..

Also, Is that the same JR brand as the one that makes Radios..?Edited by: Star Guitar

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you don't crash that I'll give you ten dollars j/k
If you can ge them right they can be heaps of fun, or so I've heard

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I'm afraid that if I ever take the step and order a helo... then I'll never have any money ever again. I can't keep up with the savvy... never mind what available in the rotary department.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
where did you get your simulator from? Ive seen some on tower, do you know what a good one is? Ive wanted a chopper for ages

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Star Guitar said:
Also, Is that the same JR brand as the one that makes Radios..?

SG,

Yes it is. Japan Radios (or something) I think it stands for. Believe it or not, however, the radios and choppers are handled through 2 different distributors in Australia. That's why this package ships with the Hitec radio. The distributor does JR Helis and Hitec Radio Gear. Someone else does the JR Radios.

I have to admit, the JR Radio was probably a touch nicer, but this package was the right price so I am very happy with the Hitec gear.

husky said:
where did you get your simulator from? Ive seen some on tower, do you know what a good one is? Ive wanted a chopper for ages

Husky,

THe one I have been using is called FMS and it is free. You can find it here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

I have read numerous reviews and some say that it is as good in preparing you for your first flight as Real Flight G2. FMS = $0, RFG2 = $499 (local price). RFG2 has many many more environmental/flight/model parametres, but FMS is a good start. FMS also has the details to make up the serial cable between your controllers "trainer port" and the PC, allowing the use of your controller to pilto the heli. RFG2 ships with a USB controller.

Real Flight G2 is considered the best available by most sources. They also make a cool product called Real Race G2 which is the onroad/offroad car simulator. It ships with a USB Wheel controller and is awesome. It has the Tamiya Terra Crusher, but last time I looked it lacked the Savage.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

ChrisEdited by: AUSRC

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
The plane guys need to get their radios certified annually; plus consider joining an RC Flying club too if only for the public liability insurance that clubs cover their members with.

Good flight radios should also have the facility for a "buddy cord" where you hook up a 2nd TX that your instructor holds - at the first sign of trouble he takes over the controls. That's how I learnt flying (pre PC, pre fancy simulators).

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zoomer said:
The plane guys need to get their radios certified annually; plus consider joining an RC Flying club too if only for the public liability insurance that clubs cover their members with.

I completely agree. This is one of the primary reasons that I did not even consider importing this stuff. Firstly the Radio must be 36Mhz, secondly the Heli expert at Hobbyrama (where I am getting the thing) flys at the club that I will join in Pine Rivers. He has already given me an indication of when he flys there so that we can meet. He is more than happy to help in the transition from Sim to Reality.

zoomer said:
Good flight radios should also have the facility for a "buddy cord" where you hook up a 2nd TX that your instructor holds - at the first sign of trouble he takes over the controls. That's how I learnt flying (pre PC, pre fancy simulators).

The Hitec Eclipse has this function. This trainer port also allows connection of the unit to your Sim.

Regards,

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Sounds good Chris,

What did you have to buy Mrs H in return?!?!?

Perhaps now we'll see some arial shots of the Savage going aroundthe BDR track, eh?

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
405 Posts
AUSRC said:
Today I placed an order for one of these:
Awesome! I can't wait to see it in action.

I've considered one of the cheapie 4 channel electric helicopters, I
think that would be enough challenge for me to keep in the air for now
and not quite as hard on the wallet when I smash it into the ground.

Or I could just finish the two RC plane projects I have lying around the house!
Except they can't hover... Or crawl for that matter... hmm, TXT1...

Edited by: jerrah

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Dude that is sweet - and with you new wireless camera.... how big is that thing?

Damn I want one now!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been preoccupied, I picked the chopper up on Tuesday - chnage of plans however, I went with a Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 v2.

First thing I need to say is - THUNDER TIGER - YOUR MANUALS ARE CRAP. With that out of the way however, what a great kit.

I think that the Thunder Tiger Helis are a better option than the JRs, and they are infinately more scalable to 50 size engines, etc, down the track.

At this stage I am on track for it's inugural hover flight on Sunday.

I will put some of my own images up soon.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
DAYMN i want one of thoes too now! Why do i keep coming back here....

got any more pics - how big is it?

·
Registered
472 Posts
and we thought the savage radio box was a pain in the but..id hate to work on that thing
other from that it looks AWESOME...I WANT ONE

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, some vital statistics for those that are interested:

<TABLE width=500>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>DIMENSIONAL SPECIFICATIONS</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width=170>Rotor Diameter: </TD>
<TD>49.00 inches (1250 mm)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>T/Rotor Diameter: </TD>
<TD>9.30 inches (236 mm)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Length: </TD>
<TD>45.27 inches (1150 mm)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Weight: </TD>
<TD>6.60 Lbs. (3 kgs)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Height: </TD>
<TD>

15.75 inches (400 mm)</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

It runs a Thunder Tiger .39 engine. It produces 1.35hp at 18,000rpm. It is a ringed engine, unlike those in our RC cars.

Photos will go up sometime this weekend.

Regards,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took it into work yesterday, and one of the guys took these pics.

It's inaugural flight will either be this afternoon or tomorrow morning. It is currently with the Head Heli Dude at the LHS to make sure I have it set up right. He will then fly it to make sure it is stable, before handing over the stick to me.... can't wait.

Wonder if I should order that crash kit yet......

Regards,

Chris

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.