Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

Just wondering what a good car to start of would be?? on road...willing to arround $500-600...anyone have any ideas..

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Savage SS

i cant pm you your inbox is full...

have u thought about OFF ROAD

yeah as long as it is in the same price vecinity.

Thanks heaps

·
Registered
761 Posts
Generally both onroad and offroad, electric and nitro go for the same price.

For example, a Tamiya TL-01 is an excellent beginner electric onroad car, whereas a Traxxas Rustler or Duratrax Evader is an excelllent beginner - intermediate electric truck. The Traxxas Ruster probably has the most hop ups for it though.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
second hand savage
Theres always some for sale and some around the $600 mark

·
Registered
660 Posts
i would go with off road because u can bash and still drive on the roads, try a second hand offroad car, savage's can go for around 600 second hand,just my2 cents and alot ofbeginners have started on a savage

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
If you do consider off road, I can highly recommend a Kyosho Inferno 7.5. They are Ready to Run - .21 Nitro Engine, Radio Gear, the lot, and they are $605 delivered from Radio Models in Perth. You can check it out here:

http://www.ozshops.com/cgi-bin/RT_Resp.cgi?application=radio

As Husky suggests, a second hand Savage is also a good option.

As for on the road, do you have a race track near by? If so, go and talk to the racers. At Brendale in QLD, the beginners all run Kyosho V-One-S. Typically they hop them up with 2-Speed Trannies, and an OS 12 engine. Once again, you will get a fully tricked up one of these within your price range.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I think the first thing you should figure out is where you plan on running and narrow your decision to either on or off road.

Personally, I prefer the off road stuff and as suchI don't know much (anything) about the on road stuff but the couple oftimes I have visited an on road track it looks like fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all...youve been a great help
i have decided on getting an on road...not sure which model yetyet. i am heading towards a "tamiya"... are they good???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
DYJK said:
"tamiya"... are they good???

Tamiya probably make some of, if not the, best kits in the world. Their instructions are the best bar none, and their quality of build is exceptional. That said, they are not always the most competitive chassis. (To be a complete hypocrite, I think they have the world champion electric 1/10 chassis at the moment...... where are you Zoomer!)

Tamiya also has pretty good local support in Aus.

Are you talking electric or nitro?

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
332 Posts
order from rcmart.com

get a tamiya tb-02 if you are really want to get moreserious with stuff...its a nice chassis...this is what i should have got in the beginning...but i did not know how serious i wanted to go into r/c back in february when i started...

i was expecting to spend $400 for a decent car...and i have spent $800+ already...my brushless motor is $400 half the cars price...ahhh

if you want a chassis for fun then a tl-01 is the best...its really strong...even after a month of 60kph+ and rolling on itsbody postsits okay...
my plastic antenna pipe broke yesterday...doh.

tb-02 is $190ish AU from rcmart...hobbyco.com.au in sydney is $375.

and another $50 for express post...so saving of like $125

tamiyas intructions are perfect...not like those taiwan computer motherboards and gfx cards etc manuals...

motor motor motor...some Trinity brand? 15 turnmotors are on ebay for like $45AU...it should get the tl-01 chassisto 50kph.

you also need an electronic speed controller (ESC) for the motor...the ESC load rating must be a lower number than the motor...15Turn motor will work on a 13T ESC...but a 10turn motor won't...the esc will overheat.

andFIRST thing you should get with a chassis are full ball bearings if they don't have already...like tl-01. throw all those plastic ~10mm white donuts in the bin...tb-02 has BBs already so its all good...

i'm still trying to find a credit card to order my tb-02...errr

well theres my electric 1/10 advice
Edited by: migoreng

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Electric or nitro depends on where you live & your surroundings.

If you think you'll be interested in racing also go visit the local clubs and see what sort (ie SIZE) they run. It'll usually be a touring car if onroad in which your choice is huge.

Nitro is fun & noisy, but its also dirty & your neighbours will hate you if they live too close. Also many of the inner-suburb tracks PROHIBIT nitro cars, if you live near city usually have to travel out very far to get to a track for nitro cars.

Electric is cleaner, by no means slower nor 'safer' for life & limb. Biggest drawback is time needed to charge batteries... which even the 1:1 engineers haven't figured that drama out yet.

AUSRC said:
Tamiya probably make some of, if not the, best kits in the world. Their instructions are the best bar none, and their quality of build is exceptional. That said, they are not always the most competitive chassis. (To be a complete hypocrite, I think they have the world champion electric 1/10 chassis at the moment...... where are you Zoomer!)

Tamiya also has pretty good local support in Aus.

I HATE TAMIYA. I HATE TAMIYA. I HATE TAMIYA.

If Tamiya didn't exist I'd have heaps of more spare money to blow on smokes, girls, fast cars & booze. Oooh, maybe even a bigger TV set yeah.

Tamiya invented eletric RC cars.
If you believe their history book.

Tamiya is the only company out there today who makes the full range of RC cars to target all markets/priceranges. eg:-

Entry-level: TT01, TL01, FF02 (FWD!), M03 & M04

mid range: TB01/02, TA04S

pro: TA04R, TB Evolution & anything with "TRF" (Tamiya Racing Factory) tag

Electric cars are SIMPLE. How fast they go depends on what motor/ESC/battery you put into it. A basic car will go just as fast as a pro car if you use the same drive electronics setup in both.

But handling/cornering... that's where your chassis investment comes in.

Tamiya used to be what one dragged to the track and let everyone laugh at your toy car. Me (and a few other rebellious sorts that I know) liked that, as we could laugh back louder when we whupped their others & their fancy rides. We had FUN!

Then come along that silly Thai boy who had to go and win that silly World Champ with his silly Tamiya toy car that his daddy even had to build for him... and now Tamiya got racer's respect.

And that is a bad thing 'cos its no longer "exclusive".
Every fickle turncoat at the track now wants a Tamiya... yep, the very same guys with fancy other cars who laff'd & got whupped before.

That Thai kid ain't learnt either yet.
Recently we heard he's gone on to do it all over again at the 2004 Reedy TC Race of Champions - beat every other pro driver in the world driving their fancy HPI Pro4s, Losis, AE TC3s & XRays.

Bah.

We're all now saving our pennies for the
overpriced "limited edition commemorative Reedy TC-ROC championship replica" kit that Tamiya's marketing department is no doubt busy making up right now...

Bigger TV will have to wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're all now saving our pennies for the
overpriced "limited edition commemorative Reedy TC-ROC championship replica" kit that Tamiya's marketing department is no doubt busy making up right now...

oooo what is that??

like a special edition 415??? how can you make it any different?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd have to agree with zoomer there. It would seem Tamiiya has something against me having money. first a wild willy, then a tb-01, a tb evolution 3 surikarn limited and now a evo 4 coming soon in july. I have spent more on tamiya products then I have on my real car

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
See - as always, Zoomers love/hate relationship with Tamiya shines.

DYJK, in all seriousness, in Zoomer you have probably one of the best resources you will find on Tamiya equipment.

Regards,

Chris

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
jiggen5354 said:
I'd have to agree with zoomer there. It would seem Tamiiya has something against me having money. first a wild willy, then a tb-01, a tb evolution 3 surikarn limited and now a evo 4 coming soon in july. I have spent more on tamiya products then I have on my real car

I think I have a solution to your problem.... get a more expensive 1:1 car.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I like reading about these touring cars and I think it would be a fun distraction from my Savvyto get an electric touring car. As I said before they look like a bit of fun to watch running around a track.

Zoomer, I've seen posts before where you said that you were doing speed laps on a velodrome... where do you go for that? Is it permissable or a stealth type operation?

·
Registered
596 Posts
working on that skidd. at the moment the only time i drive to work and back which is only about 2 k's away, so a $200bunky mobile will do. even the stereo is worth more than car

·
Registered
709 Posts
Skidd, i think the velodrome is an organised event.(HELP ME OUT ZOOMER)

It was held at the COBURG Velodrome.. ahh... thats about as much info as i have..

Oh theres was a BIG SPLIT in the cyclone fence so track access was obtainable... even if permission wasnt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.