Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im an RC drifter and recently fell in love with the SCT. So im trying to decide on what to get but I am very budget concious. 2 of my friends jumped in and got themselved 2wd 1:10 Traxxas Slash (http://www.hobbyman.com.au/39_dash_5807/SLASH:-2WD-SHORT-COURSE-VXL-2.4GHz/pd.php) and this is what I am considering on getting.

The purpose is for weekend bashing with friends (no competitive stuff) on local bike tracks. One thing I am really looking for is the waterproofing that the slash has. My friends were ripping through deap puddles for hours, clearing 2 - 4 meter jumps and only one has a snapped wheel knuckle. So all in all it ticks all of the boxes.

I then saw this thing, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._10_4WD_Brushless_Short_Course_Truck_ARR.html and being alot cheaper i though this might be the better option. I have my spektrum dx2s radio and spare recievers, i was just hoping i could drive through puddles and mud like my mates.

FYI my budget is no more that $300AUD for a RTR if possible. Any suggestions/ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That Turnigy SCT sounds like great value for money, I wish a few more people would buy them, so we can get feel for how good they are?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Turnigy SCT is on its way

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have recently just bought a 2wd Slash VXL, best basher, sent it sideways up a kerb at speed and still drives fine!!!
for racing you would an LCG kit but a basher the extra ground clearance helps!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
If your mates have the slash and you know they are good and like gettin wet I think u should get the slash, the hobby king sct will not be waterproof and slash parts can be found as easy as ,
Im not dissin the hobby king sct ,I nearly bought one but at the end of the day the slash is proven

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I was talking to someone the other day who advises that with some minor tweaking the Hobbyking SCT can be both water proof and just as good as the slash. But I think the Slash will have to do.

Thanks for your advice though anyways.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Since youre kind of new to off road RCs I would recommend you buy new. That ebay slash might look like a bargain but you also might be buying a box full of someone else problems. I say stick to new or maybe buy something from the forum here from one of the more reputable guys. Ones that know how to maintain their cars.
Also stick to the Slash. Hobbyking change their cars very often and parts are going to be an issue in the not too distant future. Traxxas parts will always be around and also the brand name cars will always have a better resale value.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another quick noobie question, 2wd or 4x4? Is it a major issue for my purpose (weekend local bashing with mates) or is it worth me spending the extra $$

·
Registered
341 Posts
4 x 4 is easier to drive but will have more maintenance.

2wd will be more tail happy and more of a challenge to handle but that is half the fun.

I have a Slash VXL 2wd. My kids have a 4x4 monster truck and 4x4 truggy. They are really point and shoot compared to the 2wd Slash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts