Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just picked up a Hyper 218 portRace/Pro non pull start, but my starter box will not turn the engine over when i put the glow plug in as i think its got heaps of compression, what can i do to get it running?
Edited by: Evilhomer

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">That engine does have ALOT of compression. To break it in you should be heating the block with a hair dryer and loosening the glow plug a bit. Works like a charm
</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks will put it back in my buggy and give it ago tommorow arvo! Also the piston and sleeve is very tight at the top when you turn the fly wheel, even with no glow plug in, after reading the OFNA forums i am thinking this is normal hopefully?

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">yeah its the pinch, perfectly normal. It gives the required compression at the top of the stroke. The Hyper 21 has a particularly tight pince, but dont worry, its good. If there was no pince i would be worried
</TD></TR>

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! hopefully the run in process should go hassle free
This thing has goood specs on paper, interesting to see how it performs in the real world, as it has a claimed 2.7hp @ 38000 rpm!

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">from what ive seen of the engine its fiddley to tune and sensitive to different gloyplugs. The novarossi plugs seem to work best in that engine
. Good luck anyways.</TD></TR>

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using OS #8 to run it in and ill see what goes on from there, stupid question, which screws the idle one?
as in i Just started it then and when i brake the wheels stop, but non braking the wheels spin, tried the trim on the remote but that just puts the brakes on! Edited by: Evilhomer

·
Registered
358 Posts
Go E_Homer! Sorry, can't help with the tuning, but I can say that the extreme pinch takes some getting used to.

My RB was similar - my starter box wouldn't turn it over initially. I had to turn the flywheel back by hand so that the starter motor had a "run up" to the compression point and hopefully get past it. I did have to use a hair dryer to warm it slightly the first time, but ever since then my cheap starter box has coped. With very cold weather tonight (and maybe a hydro lock) my starter box struggled for the first time in ages. It ran eventually though.

I panicked first time, thinking that it was siezing at the top of the stroke - just something you have to get used to with a ReAL engine, and not a Force 21

I've heard of 2 more Rex-X Force 21 engines dying in the past few days. It seems to be a plague

Cheers! Oggy.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
as the engine runs in the pinch will wear in a little and become easier to turn, but there should always be some resistance at the top of the stroke

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well ran the first tank through it this arvo, and it runs like a champ at 90 degrees, i think it has more power running heaps rich then the force 21 had when tuned!

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
<T>
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">yeah, the hyper has some go
wait till its broken in, you will wonder why it took so long to upgrade
</TD></TR>

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey Mate can you keep me updated on how it goes?I am seriously considering this motor in the tnx for a 21 conversion

G

·
all these engines are "abc" engines, which means they have a tapered bore. the cylinder, when cold, is very tight at the top. as it heats up, the taper straightens out and you have a smooth running engine. pre-heating the block as described in previous posts, is generally the key. the term "ABC" refers to the constuction materials used for the engine. eg: A= aluminium, refers to the piston. B= brass, refers to the brass cylinder bore C= refers to the chrome wear surface inside the cylinder liner. The break-in procedure for ABC engines versus ringed engines is somewhat different because of this basic structural difference. ABC engines should always be run at operating temperature. Running one at a cold temperature can wear out the engine prematurely.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Run it in yet? How do you find it?The savage weelies uncontrollably with one of these in

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, havent had anytime at all. I will run1 tank through it now, and maybe one more on the weekend
Edited by: Evilhomer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts