Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a tl01 and a novak BL motor and ESC

got it like a month ago...

my receiver sits under the tab and my BL ESC sits on top...

i notice my car jerking when it is far, and a few metres away...you give the car throttle...the motor moves...but would make jerking/twitching soundrepeatedly and while driving....and notice my car would suddenly steer by itself...causing me to spin off into the dirt grass...doh

so the ESC must be interfering with my radio...i haven't tried moving the ESC or receiver yet...

my radio batteries are running out too...the green light is off and the red light is flashing. so i might be losing signals

hmm

how would my ESC and reciever fit in the tb-02 chassis? would there likely to be inteference?

i wouldn't want this happening during a race...it never happened with my old ESC...so hmmmm
Edited by: migoreng

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's a Novak isn't it? If it is I have heard that the ESC are fairly succeptble to dirt if it gets inside the case, have you been driving anywhere really dirty?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Try moving the ESC away from the reciever, like on the other side of the car.. Either:

ESC -> Back / Reciever -> Front
ESC -> Left Side / Reciever -> Right Side

Just like on electric ST's and Buggies.

Could be that the ESC is too close to the reciever so it is causing an electrical interference between the two objects.

Also, isthe antenna wire touching any metal parts?Because sometimes when the radio gear is turned on (My Savage )and i press the radio antenna onto the roll bar, being aluminimum, it twiches..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i drive on outdoor netball courts

so i'm getting some dirt in my chassis.

the ESC is sitting 1cm above the reciever. cause i want to keep things low as possible. there is no more space for anything exceptto sit itin the middle above the battery, rear gearbox or steering servo.

the antenna is coming out of the receiver...going under the ESC and up the back of the chassis to the antenna pipe. i don't think its touching any metal

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
ESC will cut drive whenever it loses signal from the RX... so yeah if this is only a recent happening best to put fresh AAs in your TX. Voltage plays a big part in how much RF your TX pumps out.

SS ESC is too big to fit together with RX on bottom deck of TBe3/TB02, the RX has to go on top of the servo. The only way to avoid it is to buy a short (aileron) servo which will give enough room to stand your RX on its side on the chassis, but these shorty servos aren't cheap.

But because the SS ESC runs so hot, I'd rather keep mine further away from other clutter. RXes are so light it don't make much difference anyway.

RF transmission (and conversely RF shielding) is one huge uni subject that engineers spend years studying - its a very very complex topic that totally eludes me.

Just common sense would suggest having such long motor wires relaying a pulsed AC signal would transmit a dirty lot of stray RF if just left dangling in a loop. You can reduce it by either twisting/braiding the wires and/or shortening the wires to fit your car. (Novak had to supply them so long to fit into a 2WD buggy.)

If close proximity is what causing glitching & you can't move stuff anywhere else, RF shielding can help. Suggest grabbing a book on "Faraday cage" and using that theory.
You see some ppl wrap their RXes in tinfoil... on one TBe3 I've had to tape on some sheet aluminium for RF shielding. Foil tape like used on glass for alarm systems is also good.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
My latest install that I did weekend before uses just 2" of wire between motor & ESC...
new world record hehehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts