Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about to order a motor saver for the savage from mrc

just woundering if this will clear the spur gear (include 2 diff pics so you can see

[url]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDVJ2& amp; amp;P=ML[/url]

[url]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUR2& amp; amp;P=ML[/url]

*Edit: just looked at the one mrc has... it has a diff base on it...whats the deal people? [url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=31 88954682&category=34063#ebayphotohosting [/url]Edited by: JoNo-vs-SAVAGE

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I ordered the motor saver aircleaner from MRC at the same time as I got my Savage. The one that Mark shipped me was a HPI part number 72438 as pictured in your ebay link. It clears the spur gear fine and I have no problems with it.

The other pics you provided from Tower Hobbies look to have a shorter intake pipe and I doubt they would clear the spur gear but it's hard to say.

I'd say provided Mark sends you the HPI version, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got my filter from Tower when I ordered my Savage and it clears the
spur just fine. I'm pretty sure my filter has a longer pipe than
in the photos and a 60 degree bend.. The pipe clears the spur and
the filter sits inside the roll bar just poking the tip out in front.

Here's a shot of it:

<div style="text-align: center;">

</div>

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I ordered the first one from tower. It arrived with a different pipe and looks the same as the HPI one pictured from MRC. Have not fitted it yet, still no truck.

PM/repostif you want me to take a photo of the one i got from tower and up it into this post.

Morphy.Edited by: Morphy

·
Registered
405 Posts
Morphy - it's a multiple stage filter - and yes the filter was dirty
when I took the photograph. Every time I drive my savage at BDR the
outer element of the filter will get about that dirty, but the inner
elements are pretty much clean. I give my filters a good clean before
and oil them before I take it out. Just like a dirtbike you're
constantly cleaning air filters. If you use your Savage on grass -
you'll get grass wrapped all through the savage - if you use it on dirt
it'll get really dirty.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
jerrah said:
Morphy - it's a multiple stage filter - and yes the filter was dirty when I took the photograph. Every time I drive my savage at BDR the outer element of the filter will get about that dirty, but the inner elements are pretty much clean. I give my filters a good clean before and oil them before I take it out. Just like a dirtbike you're constantly cleaning air filters. If you use your Savage on grass - you'll get grass wrapped all through the savage - if you use it on dirt it'll get really dirty.

It sounds like you oil both the outer and inner elements of your filter. I know the instructions only talk about oiling the inner element but I was planning on oiling both also... I figured it can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
LOL

For show or for go...

If it too clean you just don't know what to do with it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I do oil both - in my instructions it said in 'extremely dusty
environments' to oil both... I figured it was dusty enough and the dust
won't get as close to my piston!

I just use my left over Silkolene motorcycle air filter oil from when I
had my last dirtbike... My Firestorm uses paper filters!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all...getting mark to get back to me with a price (gonna get it directly from him, not from him off ebay, hopefully a bit cheaper) and as soon as i get the price cosider me as haveing one

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol yes yes i did...well not fixed..aus rc organised me with a mate of his and i bought his s25 second hand..jus waiting for mine, nick and morphy's parts to come from savage central..should be here any day now!

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Morphy said:
LOL

For show or for go...

If it too clean you just don't know what to do with it!

I've been trying to convince the missus that I can have both. The car will be nice & clean and still fun to play with... it just means I've got to spend a few hours getting it clean again afterwards.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Next you'll be sleeping with it instead of her! Don't forget to tuck it in every night...

·
Registered
709 Posts
thinking that S3x with the savage could be a little painful..... but the smaller Motorsaver filter DOES NOT FIT NICELY. i got one with the ss and it has rubbed on my spur an destroyed the outer filter. Not Happy TOWER.

Anyway, yeh, the samller pipe is $hitful. Dont even try using it, will cause more problems than u need.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The 90 degree filter boot thing will hit the spur, and i have an x-factor air filter on my savage and i just face it towards the fuel tank and i have no problems but the motorsaver looks massive, so if buying a MS air filter, get the 60 degrees boot.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
eamil tower - that pic is wrong/old. Mine came with the 60 deg bend.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I believe there are two versions of the motorsaver filter. One with a
90 degree bend and one with a 60 degree bend - you just have to make
sure you order the right one!

Tower stocks both versions.

<a href="http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXDVJ2" target="_blank">
Motor Saver Air Filter Off-Road Savage
</font></a>

The picture on the tower site is inaccurate. (That is the one I ordered
- and it clears the spur fine - it's a savage specific part - i.e.
SAV90 with 60 degree bend...)

Jerrah.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts