Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in the know, HPI and Motor Saver have a High Performance Air Filter for the Savage. In fact I am quite certain the HPI one is a Motor Saver.

The problem is there have been some issues withh the elbows supplied withh the air filters, particularly on the HPI ones. I know this first hand because I bought one. The 90 degree elbow on the HPI will not clear the Spur, and to use it you need to hang it tight over the exhaust - not the best result.

Typically you have to get an additional elbow to make the damn thigs fit properly. Seems ridiculous when you are buying a "Savage 21/25 High Performance Air Filter" and it does fit very well on a Savage 21/25......

News Flash - Motor Saver have been saying that they have updated their kits, and I am happy to confirm, thanks to a delivery from Tower today, that the Motor Saver now hasa long 60 degree elbow that clears everything beautifully. Even though the part number is still SAV90, the 90 degree elbow is a thing of the past.

So - if you are looking for a HP Air Filter for the Savage - the Motor Saver Branded one is the way to go.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
204 Posts
Guys,

The Motor Saver filter is a great investment for your Truck. These filters offer a huge increase in protection over your standard HPI filter.

I highlt recommend this upgrade.

I have the long 60 degree elbow and it sits perfectly above the spur gear, right in between the roll cage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeh i bought the HPI one as well, My Savage came in the mail yesterday, by the way im ZHA50 on SC, i got that traxxas thingy comming, ive striped it down to the diss, now i eithere wait 4 sillicome oil or ressemble it withh 5000/3000 grease??

G

·
i found that a oil breather filter (K&N Fiters) traps more dust and also since its high volume the eng. breaths better (done it on a V-ONE-S .15 eng damn the accel quick since the mod

the only down side is that i costs 90 bucks but well worth it

·
Registered
472 Posts
GET RID OF THAT PIECE OF CRAP u said it urself...its a breather filter...therefor it doesnt trap the fine dust that will really screw ya engine:S and if u ever bya ccident order the wrong super duty filter for the savage...
like me...hahah u can order the extra boots kit...its only like $11 AUS

G

·
the breather filters cotton membrain catches more dust than a normal filter
same design cotton filter as the larger pod filters which does exactly the same job

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi all,

I'm not sure about this K&N filter that you mention, RMA29, but if it's the same as the ones used in cars, then I think they do let a lot of dirt through.

Fast Fours (& Rotaries) did a test on all the filters some time ago and if I remember correctly, K&N and some very expensive japanes items (like greddy or something) actually flowed very very well, but also let a lot of dirt through.
Still from memory, the cleanest filters were oil filled foam ones and the standard paper element.

My personal choice for my 1/8 buggy was a twin element &oiled motosaver filter.
It's a big mutha that gets squished when the body is on, but it does a great job at catching dirt.

If at all possible, run yours alongside someone with an oiled motosaver filter in some dusty conditions for a couple of minutes and then look at who has the dirtiest air filter. The cleanest filter has probably let the dust into the engine.

Cheers! Oggy.

G

·
AUSRC said:
For those of you in the know, HPI and Motor Saver
have a High Performance Air Filter for the Savage. In fact I am quite
certain the HPI one is a Motor Saver.

The problem is there have been some issues withh the elbows supplied
withh the air filters, particularly on the HPI ones. I know this
first hand because I bought one. The 90 degree elbow on the HPI
will not clear the Spur, and to use it you need to hang it tight over
the exhaust - not the best result.

Typically you have to get an additional elbow to make the damn thigs
fit properly. Seems ridiculous when you are buying a "Savage
21/25 High Performance Air Filter" and it does fit very well on a
Savage 21/25......

News Flash - Motor Saver have been saying that they have updated
their kits, and I am happy to confirm, thanks to a delivery from Tower
today, that the Motor Saver now hasa long 60 degree elbow that
clears everything beautifully. Even though the part number is
still SAV90, the 90 degree elbow is a thing of the past.

So - if you are looking for a HP Air Filter for the Savage - the Motor Saver Branded one is the way to go.

Regards,

AUSRC

Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I did a search and decided to post here instead of starting a new thread.

Anyway I want to get a new air filter and was wondering if this is a good Motor Saver air filter or is there a better one.

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=1680&osCsid=47a7edf5b8801bf4fd68288d1aab9d3f

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes thats the one, although you could just buy the elbow and go to clarke rubber for the foam

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah i must admit i only started to carry them once i notice how good they run then stock filter. moto saver filter are the best filter ive seen so far, all of the range is top notch.

Yes they are exactly the same as the HPI performance air filter, even the instruction are same.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Carp said:
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I did a search and decided to post here instead of starting a new thread.
Anyway I want to get a new air filter and was wondering if this is a good Motor Saver air filter or is there a better one.

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=1680&osCsid=47a7edf5b8801bf4fd68288d1aab9d3f

I congratulate you for...

1. Using the search function, and
2. Posting in a topic relevant existing thread.

Well done..
Now how do we get everyone doing that?

I'd 2nd & 3rd the above advice, that filter in you link is the best option for your savage. You won't go wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Motor Saver uses "cup style" of foam for the inner (oiled) filter. This usually gets dirty faster at the bottom of cup, where its not covered by the outer unoiled pre-filter.

HPI has since brought out a new OS/Buggy style filter with plastic endcaps. The oiled bit (cylindrical) is completely covered by the outer prefilter.

G

·
zoomer said:
Motor Saver uses "cup style" of foam for the inner
(oiled) filter. This usually gets dirty faster at the bottom of cup,
where its not covered by the outer unoiled pre-filter.

HPI has since brought out a new OS/Buggy style filter with plastic
endcaps. The oiled bit (cylindrical) is completely covered by the outer
prefilter.

Are you referring to this one seeing as it's in the new parts list on
HPI's site and I assume this would be the better one to go for?

Edited by: Carp

·
Registered
445 Posts
And the BEST part about that filter design is you can wack a spraypaint
lid over the end making a great water/dirt/mud gaurd. Just drill a
little hole and bolt it on rather than the end cap!

Wallah!

G

·
husky said:
looks alot better than the mesch end cap that the motorsaver i use has

Maybe that'll be your next air filter unless there's a better one again.

Skidd said:
Carp said:

I congratulate you for...

1. Using the search function, and
2. Posting in a topic relevant existing thread.

Well done..
Now how do we get everyone doing that?

Oh! and Thanks, it was nothing.

I guess the only
way would be to advise people maybe in the rules and regulations area
or something like that with a post asking to use the search function
and resurrect old posts if it's releveant to what you are asking or
informing. Sometimes it's not possible so evidently you start a new thread.

Never the less it's a great forum with alot of useful information and
it's good to have communities as such whether you are a RC enthusiast
or a beginner.

Edited by: Carp

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
so how much u rekon they are on ebay

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Trader said:
And the BEST part about that filter design is you can wack a spraypaint lid over the end making a great water/dirt/mud gaurd. Just drill a little hole and bolt it on rather than the end cap!

No, put whatever you want on top but do not replace the end cap. Its keyed to the centre tube and needs to seal well to the oiled sponge, its not just a round disc of plastic with a 3mm hole in it.

"voila"

(its french
)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
well ok didnt get a word

1 - 20 of 25 Posts