Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
topic continues from the S2000 topic in members ride!

</font>

Zoomer say's

"Dunno - never tried on M04 only on M03. (We don't race M04s here, so no point getting one running for us.)</span></font>

The shocks are overall about 5mm shorter I think. But
I can't simply measure them as none of my shocks are built "standard",
they've all got different spacers inside & I don't remember which
has got what anymore. The Super Minis allow the M04/M03 suspension to keep their full Up travel.</font>

Another setup I've seen uses Standard-length Mini CVAs but replace the bottom ballend with 53488 - Adjustable Ball Connectors.
I don't know how well this works nor if it gives full Up travel too,
but that's the only solution for the guys who just HAVE to run alloy
shockers.</font>

Melbourne Mini racers are generally cheapskates, we
don't spend $$ if we don't have to. A lot of us still stick with the
standard kit friction shocks and heck these cars don't lap any slower
than the oil-shocked cars - can't tell the difference on the track. </font>

We even built a Mini for Surikarn Chadjasuriya when
he visited us antipodeans the Sydney Eastern Creek Winter Champs 2003.
Surikarn whupped everybody's butt with a stock standard (but MELBOURNE
built & painted!!) M03...."</span>

</font>

gee, he must be a good driver.....</font>

how fast these mini's go....i had an old MO2 a while
back, and that was pretty quick with a sport tuned motor in it......and
the S2000 is pretty quick aswell...maybe due to less rotating parts
being only RWD or FWD.....

</font>

Nismo

</font>

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
At Thunderdrome (check it out HERE --> http://www.ausrc.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=231&PN=1
) we're expecting the M03s to touch 70 this year. They did 60+ last year - pretty crazy speeds for a tiny car.

M04 academically have a slight speed advantage as they can accept pinions 1-tooth larger (they use evens, M03 uses odds) BUT... the M04 is RWD and a lot harder to drive than a FWD especially when you have crazy power.

-------------------------

As we have an "Austin/Morris Mini" rule that asks for Morris Mini shells *only*, we also only using FWD M03s as that's what the 1:1 is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wahaaaaa 60+.....

gee i want one off those mini's..do you run modified motors??....or is this stock

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Its all in the rules...
for Thunderdrome Mini class:
<UL>
<LI>M03 FWD only</LI>
<LI>max motor of 12T</LI>
<LI>any battery 7.2V 6-cells</LI>
<LI>must use standard Tamiya gearing only (no hopups)</LI>
<LI>full-size touring car wheels/tyres allowed</LI>
<LI>any radio, any ESC or MSC</LI>
<LI>all Tamiya chassis hopup allowed (bearings, shocks etc)</LI>[/list]

In usual civilian times, we run to:
<UL>
<LI>M03 FWD only</LI>
<LI>Tamiya Sport Tuned motors only</LI>
<LI>Mini sized wheels/tyres only</LI>
<LI>any battery 7.2V 6-cells</LI>
<LI>any radio, any ESC or MSC</LI>
<LI>must use standard Tamiya gearing only (no hopups)</LI>
<LI>all Tamiya chassis hopup allowed (bearings, shocks etc)</LI>
<LI>Austin Mini Cooper shells only, maybe even BMW Minis.</LI>[/list]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12t motor...

wahaaaa new tyres every race,

damn id love to see one off these cars go!!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Sounds like you need to buy some good tyres. With the Tamiya stuff that comes in the kits, mine go straight into storage together with the pretty bodyshell - good for display only. M03 kit tyres last like 5 packs before they're bald, Tamiya full-size kit slicks last a bit longer but have zilch grip (== drift city!).

On M03, we run HPI's X-pattern Mini-size belted tyres for racing. They are very grippy (yes you will traction roll easy if you don't fix your suspension properly) but they also last a long long time. I've only bought 1 full set many yrs ago; the guys that race every week probably only need max 2-3pr for the whole year.

At the Velodrome, TakeOff CS27 seems to hook up very well on a full-sizer - wasn't in need of any more grip. Have not tried Mini there yet. Probably some guys will be trying foams too, not sure how well those will hook up. The surface is concrete quite rough & weathered, and very dusty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine go straight into storage together with the pretty bodyshell

what shell do you use then??.....and there is no other brand that makes a shell for the MO4L

Nismo

</font>

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Tamiya shells are too pretty & EXPENSIVE to run, you know well how much they cost. You'd gotta be loaded to afford to pay retail A$80-90 a pop. (Bodies might be cheaper elsewhere, but they are big bulky items very expensive to post. So its only economical if you're there yourself and don't have to post 'em.)

For Mini Cooper, we all buy the Frewer version available locally. Looks the same, works the same - just cheaper. Yeah they're Kiwi, but don't hold it against them.

M03L becomes an M03 when you remove the middle spacer.

As for what fits on M04L, Tamiya sez: ---> http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcitem/parts/rc21.htm

HPI also makes Mini-size body, but no idea who stocks them today in Oz anymore. They had some interesting shapes like a VW Combi van, Merc A-class, Honda Civic hatch etc. HPI has stopped making Mini RS4 cars.

There's also a Audi TT by somebody else, can't remember who.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah for the MO3 its fine, but there is no bodies to fit the MO4L apart from the tamiya ones......

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
M04L is 239mm wheelbase.

If you remove the spacer it becomes a M04M 225mm wheelbase. Any of the bodies for M02M etc should then fit.

Your only problem is then *finding* a body. Not many ppl stock mini-size bodies anymore as there's no big demand for them Tamiya original bodysets. If you are willing to pay $80-90 I can ask at our LHSes to see if they have any old stocks left.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$90, nah not yet.....its only the body, ill wait till i get other parts for the chassis first,

got see if my LHS can order in the CVA mini shocks,

M04L is 239mm wheelbase., so is the MO3L, so the BMW mini body will fit, just some mods on the body posts....

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nismospeed said:
(1) how much CHEAPER is it??, and (2) it will fit my MO4L right?

#1 don't expect miracles. Assuming I am able pull the right strings, might be able to get it from Sydney for ~$60.

#2 no idea, that's your issue.

If I get real bored one day, I might go dig up the required objects and try find out.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
... besides, was taking Your Word for it...!

nismospeed said:
M04L is 239mm wheelbase., so is the MO3L, so the BMW mini body will fit, just some mods on the body posts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well that say its the same wheelbase, but the width is different, 177 to 187 or something like that...

so im guessing it wont fit and ill get slapped with the hefty price of a new MO4L body..wahaaa

not fair really, ahh well

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
I think you'll find the difference is mainly in the rear axles - see how fat they are on the M04L? They are longer and use the deep hexes. If you have to, you can easily replace them with standard length TG10/TL01/TB01/TA04 (all the same) axles and the standard hexes (you should have a spare pair in the kit).

On the BMW Roadster M04L, it uses +2mm offset wheels too, which makes it even wider. S2000 uses +0 offset "Enkei" wheels so that's ok.

BMW Mini body is pretty bulbous and even though the kit comes with mini-size tyres, there's plenty of room under the guards for standard-size wheels.

Think you've got pretty good chance of making it fit.

(Don't forget also there's now the M04M Alfa Guilia. I think that uses the narrow rear track and that body originally came on the M02M chassis.)

Alternately, you COULD put on standard TL01 suspension arms &put an extra '239' spacer into the chassis --- you'll get a unique RWD touring car??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alternately, you COULD put on standard TL01 suspension arms &put
an extra '239' spacer into the chassis --- you'll get a unique RWD
touring car??

hahaahah i was thinking that.....that would look wierd....

might try that one day..

Nismo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, speaking off mini's, some guy on TC decided he would smoke his mini.......FOR REAL!!!!

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
zoomer said:
If I get real bored one day, I might go dig up the required objects and try find out.

Ok, got bored enough this evening.
Went out and borrowed some stuff.

(NO COMMENTS ON RED SHELL PLS. Its not mine, I did NOT design or paint it!!)

Seems to fit ok, think:

1. <LI>wheelbase fits!</LI>
    <LI>front posts ok, front track ok</LI>
    <LI>rear track should be made 'standard 165mm' with normal axles</LI>
    <LI>rear posts should be flipped around, or maybe use the other pair that comes in the kit dunno</LI>
    <LI>full-size wheels fits ok</LI>
    <LI>M04 bumper should be trimmed</LI>

Ok, so now we know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts