Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who here mixes there own fuel and where do you buy the nitro from? i can get methanol but apparently to buy nitro you need a class one andra lisence(drag racing).

·
Registered
536 Posts
yeah i can get ahold of it if i want my brother has a andra license i don't no though i think i would stuff up the quanties and fry my motor

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can get pure at most hobby shops and there is a bloke in the local RC plane club here that sell it so just keep asking around you are bound to find some.

(sunshine coast)

normaly $17 L

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anyone here could provide a step by step instruction on how to mix my own fuel (for nitro cars)? and the places in sydney where I can get all the ingredients?

I've found this article on how to mix fuel for planes, but I suppose the mixture/balance for nitro cars will be a bit different?

http://www.wrcs.org.au/articles/18.htm

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Just calculate it by volume.

eg to fill a 1L container, need:

15% oil = 150ml

15% pure nitro = 150ml

then top up with methanol (you'll need approx 700-750ml)

·
Registered
283 Posts
ok, so I will have to buy Castrol M for oil, I think its caster oil

I can probably find places that sells nitro.

But where can I buy plain methanol? In the article above, the guy mentioned Shell A Racing Fuel and Morgan’s Coolpower, what are they?

I need to get specialized pure methanol dont I? I cant just go into the hardware store and a buy a jar of ordinary methanol, since they contain 1% water right?

I've heard that 1 or 2 fuel manufacturer actually list the ingredient of their fuel on the label? Is that true? Anyone knows where I can get them? Thanx

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get my methanol form a local BP fuel depo you should be able to find one close by you they sell it in a 20L drum

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Don't know where you get it all from, but this is the mix i'm running, if it helps:

25% nitro

10% synthetic oil

8% caster oil

57% methanol filler

I wonder how long you can store the rawliquids before they are dead? Like if you had to buy 10L of nitro, which should make 40L to 65L (depending on %), would it have a shelf life of 4 years? I know mixed fuel would be dead in 4 years time...

·
Registered
283 Posts
ok, so I can get Castrol M for castor oil, Shell Synthetic for synthetic oil, buy from Nitrofrom hobby store and buy some methanol form patrol station and mix them witha similarratio?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
NTC3 Please let us know what u think it will cost u to make, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
with the number of us in melbourne (and geelong
) we should be making bulk between all of us. It would save $$$$$$$$. More money for parts

·
Registered
660 Posts
yeah that is a good idea, who is going to mix it ?????

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes mixing it your slef dose save a lot

My mix is

20% Nitro $17/L

10% Blue Cool Power Oil $14/L

5% Degummed Caster Oil $10/L

65% Methanol $1.30/L

So if I am right it works out to be abouth $6.14 for a L of mixed fuel

·
Registered
283 Posts
Morphy, I dont know yet, I will find out as soon as possible, I have my uni exam in the next 2 weeks. So i'll try to get all the parts after my exam.

How pure (percentage)is the methanol that you get at the BP service station?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
azalin_au said:
yes mixing it your slef dose save a lot

My mix is

20% Nitro $17/L

10% Blue Cool Power Oil $14/L

5% Degummed Caster Oil $10/L

65% Methanol $1.30/L

So if I am right it works out to be abouth $6.14 for a L of mixed fuel

Damn them hobby shops! I pay twice what it would cost

·
Registered
660 Posts
for me 18.00 dollars a litre or 55 dollars for 4 litres
doggy hobby shops

·
Registered
75 Posts
I could do 4x4 litres (16 litres) of 25% Hot stuff Buggy fuelto melbourne for around $190.00. We can send 4x4 litres (16 litres) of fuel to any where in Aus starting from around $160.00 for 16% On Road Racingemail me if interested.

Regards Mark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts