Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what is everyones thoughts on a private member gallery for each regular poster of about 5mbs, so pictures can be uploaded to the forums and you dont have to worry about that 50kb crap, since everyone knows that the only pictures that are 50kbs are avatars and little gifs and .gif files are useless.

What do you guys reckon? If we can get enough people to want it, then maybe Ausrc will give us our own galleries

G

·
sounds like an idea....

id say for regular members first...just so people dont come and hog the space and never post....

maybe a small fee of say $5au or something...like a member ship for a year??..

or 500kb for non payers..and unlimeted fo pay members??...just an idea.

Nismo

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

I dont think the regular posters should pay, maybe if non posting members wanted one they could pay $5 since they dont do anything else on the site.

And it should be 5mb, although if more spaces is wanted then maybe $5 and that member gets 10mbs ect.

G

·
we could make that 500posts plus gets a gallery...but that would result
in post whoring from everyone...which would lead to arguments and
stuff....

regular posters....how can that be worked out??...atleast 10 posts a day??..

people who want a gallery could pay $5 a year or something....make it optional..

i know i would pay to get one.

Nismo

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes but then what about teenagers that are like 13 - 16, or even younger that dont use banking.

By regular posters, i mean posters that post at least a few times a day.

G

·
yes maybe, but what about there parents then hey....

im sure if really wanted a gallery then you would pay..i know there
would be a few people on here that would pay $5...cause it really aint
much...

Nismo

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldnt you rather a FREE gallery instead.

I know i would...

G

·
yes of course.....

but $5 isnt much...and thanks to ausrc we wouldnt have this site...

i dont mind putting in $5 to help out....

cause if people just got a gallery..they wouldnt post...and would hog the space with pics..which is not fair...

Nismo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
HEY HEY slow down a minute!

This is one for AUSRC to decide - its his webspace! He may not want the headake! Maybe run a poll - Do you want to pay for useablegallery space?

Other forums run space like this, usually for free or sponsorship. They get around massive sizesby having a 6 month exp period.

AUSRC, I would love to see space for pics and movies here, but completly understand if you don't want any part of it.

G

·
yes it is up to ausrc..

but there is nothen wrong with sharing opinions...

yes a poll is a good idea..but we have to wait to see what ausrc thinks..after all its his webspace....and he funds it all,

geez

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Morphy,

As you say lets slow it down a bit.

First things first. If you think that 50kb for a pic is too small, you don't know much about the web. If you can't get a 640 x 480 pic to less than 50kb in jpeg format, you are doing something wrong. Let's not forget it is not only physical space on a HDD somewhere, it is also download time to the user that wants to look at the gallery / post. Even at 50KB, you put 6 pics in a post, thats 300kb - at 56kb/sec that's a 43 second load time (300 x 1024 x 8 = 2457600 bits. Divide that by 56000 = 43). Things start to slow down.

Then you have to consider the gallery layout. As you have would have seen, when you put big pics up and you have to scroll right to get to where the buttons have now been pushed out to, or the entire layout looks like crap.

This is not just a matter of disk space.

Currently I have 200MB of webspace and 5GB per month of bandwidth. I am using about 100MB and about 4GB of bandwidth a month. To get this off the ground I will need to upgrade the plans, which if support is there I am happy to consider.

I think there are a couple of members that like the idea, so I will definately pursue it. I also want to try and keep the service free.

Give me some time to think guys....

Regards,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

G

·
First things first. If you think that 50kb for a pic is too small, you don't know much about the web.

true.....

if you can't get a 640 x 480 pic to less than 50kb in jpeg format, you are doing something wrong.

what can i use to shrink it then, ??, i use flash 5 and downsize the image...

up to you i guess ausrc.. just sharing my thought

Nismo

Edited by: nismospeed

·
Registered
477 Posts
nsimo.. u say that u want a free gallery of freguent posters who post say 10 post a day.. its not hard for someone to keep on PADDING alot of useless info and they get a free gallery..lol..

i think ausrc should just make it $5 a year for who ever wants a private gallery.. if u dont pay u dont get??

ryan

G

·
u say that u want a free gallery of freguent posters who post say 10 post a day
yes..it was a sudgestion, just along with others..

and yes it would be easy to post 10 posts of useless ****!...

if you want something bad enough youll work towards it, in this case, if you want a gallery then you will pay $5 to have...

just a sudgestion...im not saying that we will all pay $5 to have a gallery, but as ausrc said

Currently I have 200MB of webspace and 5GB per month of bandwidth. I
am using about 100MB and about 4GB of bandwidth a month. To get this
off the ground I will need to upgrade the plans, which if support is
there I am happy to consider.
he will have to upgrade to fit more space...as time goes on, and we get
a heap more members...then he will need more space...and then that will
cost, blah blah blah....

yes id rather it free, along with everyother memeber here....but im
willing to $5 to help towards funding the extra space....$5 aint much,
but 10 members, $5 each, thats $50 towards the upgrade..

anyway its all up to ausrc,

so basically this post was useless like most others

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
nismospeed said:
so basically this post was useless like most others

Nismo,

You trying to start something here.... just kidding!

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
hmmm i dont think i am..lol..

well maybe most aint useless, but posts that are "one" word are...or
posts where it all it says, "oh sorry im a nitro man, i cant help you
there...."

ohwell

"goes and sits in corner""

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
nismo

see if you can get your hands on photoshop. it will let u resize pics to you liking and it has a save for web function which cuts down the file sizeEdited by: jiggen5354

1 - 20 of 20 Posts