Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to start a thread about Maiden Flights.

Post up your stories or your video footage!

Here is mine. I dont have any video of my maiden flights with my helis but I assure you they all went 100% better than the maiden with my first plane!

Anyway let the video do all the talking!

Laugh or cry with me

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
First plane I ever got...

Cant remember the brand, but it was a high wing trainer style electric, mate owed me some cash and offered me the plane in place of the cash....first mistake was thinking "this will be easy" WRONG....totally wrong

I took the deal and headed home, charged the battery up and got familiar with the controls and the apparent operation.

Took the plane to the local park, wind was ever so slight, faced the plane into the breeze, throttle on 3/4 power and gently sailed the plane....perfect, I was ready to pop on my little expert cap and fly off into the sunset....WRONG again

10m or so I increased the throttle, yanked on the stick like a gorilla, full flap, and the plane started to climb, straight up into the sky, a little smile came to my face....bloody flying ace and I have only been at it 2 minutes, how hard can this be.....STUPID.....

The plane climbed about 30m before the trouble started, first a little cough...then the plane stopped climbing rapidly and started to hang for a moment, the nose slowly rolled over and started to look at the ground...it felt like slow motion at the time.....a second longer and the tail was in the wrong place, nose faced firmly at the deck....oooo look the motor has fired back up.....ooo sh!t it is getting quick now, might just pull on the stick and try to raise the nose....WRONG.. Aint Happening buddy....Black Hawk Down...a little voice in my head saying..."Put your trays in the upright postion and head between your knees, this is going to hurt"

By this time the plane is moving like a torpedo, dead straight... yeah straight for the dirt....it hit like a magpie when it bombs your scone, the whole thing looked like a WW2 mishap, buried to the wing, nose completely unseen.

I had to dig to get the motor section out of the ground, it had buried about 200mm into the hard packed grass covered dirt... me and my plane, which was now in 50 or more pieces went home, where I laid it to rest in the wheelie bin, wiped my hands and remembered why I like cars and trucks....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Get back on the horse!!

I've got a F4U Corsair and it's awesome. I held off my first flight for ages in fear of wrecking it. I waited and waited.. Chickened out many times and finally got sick of it. So I said to a mate F it, I'm gonna fly it today, wind or not!

So I lined up on a cricket pitch and pushed the throttle forward.. Took off, was great.. Circled around and landed again.. HIGH FIVES ALL ROUND! So, full of brass balls and dutch courage, I decide to fly again....

I take off with a tail wind this time, and find out I'm unable to swing it around and it's heading away from me at a great rate of speed. Analogue signal about to drop out I'm sure, I pull it up vertical.. It stalls and comes hurtling towards the ground. I just pull back on the stick hoping for the best, and it pulls out level, but coming back at me. So I'm over the moon, but it's coming back at me... Reverse controls and I've gotta land it while I'm going "into" the wind. One shot...

Landed it a little rough, but it was absolutely awesome for a first flight.

Second flight was at 5:30 am, no wind and I was doing loops and rolls with ease.

Simply the easiest planes to fly for learners.
:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
wow I wouldn't think that the F4U corsair would be a good beginners plane.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost bought it but decided not to being 4 channel, mine is currently 3 but can add rudder to make it 4.

While trying to correct my disaster today I noticed myself making rudder inputs on the sticks, perhaps I should add the rudder to have more control??

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ouch LD Ouch how bad is the damage.....

Cheers brad

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its abd but I guess not too bad. I have glued it all back together but not sure if it will hold until I fly it.

All up the parts will be about $140 and that will almost make a whole new plane minus electrics.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The corsiar is a very easy plane to fly... Seriously..

Here's a mate with his one with an onboard camera.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I would dig up my old thread.

I still cringe when I watch this maiden flight. I am scared to fly my bixler, but I have more experience since that maiden with planks and helis.

I also know the bixler will be a lot more docile to fly unlike the P51-D of which I still dont know what happen............

So post up your storeys, pics and videos of your maiden flights! planks or helis

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Sukhoi Micro nosedived straight into the ground from about 15 metres high, never flown since

Cheers

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Yeah Helis get flown every week, MSR and 120SR

Still have to maiden my Glider as well, its gathering dust !

Cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ill put up a vid of my mCP X whenever i can borrow my bro's camcorder

Edit: Correction, whenever i can fly my mCP X lol

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I almost bought it but decided not to being 4 channel, mine is currently 3 but can add rudder to make it 4.

While trying to correct my disaster today I noticed myself making rudder inputs on the sticks, perhaps I should add the rudder to have more control??
L_D,

Peter will probably tell you (because he is both a Heli and Plank instructor), if you fly Helis you will fly the tail. Most plane only flyers do not fly the tail very well, they prefer a "bank and yank", but with a heli you have no choice... it should make you a better plane flyer (if you have a functional rudder).

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Flying planes is not easy, my first and only plane spent more time crashing than flying. A sim is no help at all, i could fly in the sim like a pro and it gave a false sense of skills. If i was to do it all over again with a plane, it would be at a club with dual controls with a really good instructor. Personally, i think dual control with an instructor is the only way to learn to fly anything.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
L_D,

Peter will probably tell you (because he is both a Heli and Plank instructor), if you fly Helis you will fly the tail. Most plane only flyers do not fly the tail very well, they prefer a "bank and yank", but with a heli you have no choice... it should make you a better plane flyer (if you have a functional rudder).

Cheers,
Chris.
Yeah I agree, perhaps I learnt the wrong way around, by starting with helis and now trying planks!??

Perhaps it would have been better the other way around, planks then move onto helis?

Not sure, either way Ill get it sorted. I am condifent with helis and they can be flown in smaller spaces then planks (well around my neighbourhood any way)

The bixler I have recently bought ha a wingspan of 1.4 meters and I just dont think the local school's oval will be big enough.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Yeah I agree, perhaps I learnt the wrong way around, by starting with helis and now trying planks!??

Perhaps it would have been better the other way around, planks then move onto helis?

Not sure, either way Ill get it sorted. I am condifent with helis and they can be flown in smaller spaces then planks (well around my neighbourhood any way)

The bixler I have recently bought ha a wingspan of 1.4 meters and I just dont think the local school's oval will be big enough.
Mike, GumbyJ, flies his bixler at the track. It has a normal sized soccer field next to it and it's heaps of room. Good thing about planes is you only need a smallish bit of ground to take off and land on. Rest of the time you can spend above the trees or whatever. But a soccer/football field is a good size, you'll be able to do some low passes without having to force it down too much.

Trust me, it'll be big enough, especially with a plane like the bixler.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats good to know, but for my maiden of the bixler I want all the room I can get! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's my first plane i ever flown. it flies quite well. it isnt a maiden but the 2nd flight. maiden was like a minute flight to test.

Birds tried to attack my plane near the end. didn't know birds are territorial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts