Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking,

with the 2 channel RX, there is that spare slot that says batt,

can you get a plug, hook it up to some wire, resistors, and some LED's??

will that work,

so you run the lights off the 7.2v batt, but cut down the voltage so lights run on 6v.

Nismo

·
Registered
596 Posts
possibly. I have seen people plug thier transponders in the battery port before. also of note is most rx's with bec cut voltage down to 5 - 6v anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it will work then yeah??,

i was going to put a on off switch plugged into it, so i can turn lights on and off,

will it work though

will i risk blowing up my rx, ?

Nismo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It will work fine, just have to limit the voltage to what your LED needs (like 0.7 to 1.7 deending on colour, intensity etc...).

All you need: V=IR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
love your avatar dude, awesome..how do you make those??

yeah was thinking, the s13 has 4 headlights on the decals, so i was gunna get 4 super bright LED's clear ones

and 2 super bright red ones,

this way i dont have to worry about a chunky battery on the body, i can just clip it into rx when i run at night..

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
If your RX is fed by your ESC, be very careful. The ESC's BECcan usually only supply 1-2A max and your servo/s can take a lot of power at full throw. If you don't watch your extra current draw you could cause glitching & radio problems.

Usually better to draw it straight off 7.2V. There's very little difference between 7.2 and 6V anyway.

You also risk blowing up the ESC's BEC too... knowing your history Mr Nismo...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol

i never blow anything...

running straigh of 7.2 volt??, how do i do that,??, i dont want to have
a big chucnky battery holder or something inside the body

ohwell, might the leave the lights out

Nismo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
6 LED's with the CORRECT resistor will use next to no current - compared to your servo/motor.

You could always do as zoomer said and run power stright from your batt, it might just be safer.

Does anyone know of an electronic switch you can plug into your rx - so that you can turn it on or off with the handset? Either that or something that can trigger at a set frequency, like the mid freq from the rx?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but

how do i connect it straight to the batt??,

cause i want to drive and use lights at night time,

Nismo

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Morphy said:
6 LED's with the CORRECT resistor will use next to no current - compared to your servo/motor.

I think we might be on different wavelengths here... don't everybody think "overkill" is the 'norm'???

For real solid lighting... try a Luxeon Star:

That's just a 1W version, sucks 300mA from 7V. Perfect!!

The new Luxeon V-Star does FIVE watts... so it might need 1500mA. That's as bright as a good xenon flashlight though, so you probably don't need so many candela.

Two 1W Stars would be as bright as Tamiya's commercial headlamp kit made for some older cars. (These were bright lightbulbs and sucked about 3A from the battery... a noticeable drain, moreso if you needed to use 2 sets.)

Does anyone know of an electronic switch you can plug into your rx - so that you can turn it on or off with the handset? Either that or something that can trigger at a set frequency, like the mid freq from the rx?

I am low-tech hit-it-with-the-biggest-mallet type of engineer -I just use a microswitch servotaped to a std servo. Works just fine, servo can control more than 1 microswitch if you rig it right.

You can also build circuitry that takes the servo's signal from the RX and use that to on/off a relay or big transistor. Lots of circuits on the web, the plane guys are the usual culprits.

Run it off a spare radio channel (if ya got more than 2) or just Y-lead it to an existing one - but you won't have independent control then, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
nismospeed said:
but
how do i connect it straight to the batt??,
cause i want to drive and use lights at night time,

erm... just TAP your power leads ???

Use some skinny wires & either solder them piggyback at the ESC plug or shave off a bit of insulation & tap them there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts