Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently swapped a mini for an old kyosho although not to sure on the name. The mini z has not been running for some odd reason as it was running perfectly fine up until now what it does is when I turn it on the steering flickers and there is no response from the engine apart from the steering turning??? i found this all very odd.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It sounds like the servo is OK but the ESC and receiver or both are the problem.

Are the receiver and ESC one unit on these?

·
Registered
341 Posts
RC Hobbies has Firelap cars for $49 last time I looked. I think they have many compatible parts but they have an AM radio from memory.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Firelap are a similar car. search for firelap on the rchobbies site and you'll see. Kyosho do a 2.4ghz system for the mini z's its roughly $80 but doesn't include a radio, search on amain for 'mini z 2.4' and you'll see.
Because of the size even micro spektrum/futaba/etc receivers don't fit in properly. Although thats not to say it can't be done, just takes some work and good precision and a separate esc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It could possibly be a case of burnt out FETS on the circuit board. You can buy new and much better FETS and solder them back onto the circuit board. You can also increase the number of FETS fitted so that you can run hotter/faster motors possibly even more efficiently. Did the car become stuck with the motor still trying to turn over?

Maybe check the connections and even another motor if you can, or at very least try turning over the motor by hand seeing if that works, also trying to turn over the motor carefully with the throttle on as well. I suggest this before going ahead on a net FET installation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And those firelap models are far lesser quality than the Kyosho Mini Z's
Whilst some parts if not most are compatible, the Kyosho is a far better car, electronics and parts quality

·
Registered
102 Posts
Someone with more experience on the FET's and circuitboards could lend some help here...
If you're lucky it could be just the FET's, i know you can buy kits with 'however many number of FETS' in them and it's a simple solder-out/solder in procedure. Try sourcing some info on one of the mini-Z/mini-scale websites, then look into ordering some FET's, if indeed that is where the problem lies. I believe the FET kits can range from $20-$40, depending on which FET's and how many of them you get. Here's a starter for you, http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/index.php? though the website has been quite in-active for the past few years it still has a wealth of information on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also noticed when I was looking at it last night something on the circuit board was smoking although I wasn't quick enough to catch what it was after taking the two batterys that were in there :\ .

·
Registered
102 Posts
People are putting newer/better FETS in even brand new mini z's, they offer an increase in performance straight away and also allow you to run hotter motors.
I would suggest getting a blue print of the printed circuit board and then looking at your circuit board to see if the frying on it is around the FETS.

Worse case, if you're unsure buy the FETS and try them, if they don't work in your current circuit board look into buying a complete mini z and using your current mini z for spares or salvaging the circuit board out of the newly purchased mini z. Upgraded FETS are a worthy upgrade in mini z's.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Kyosho OE 2.4 is on KO's 2.4 system, nothing else.

Also check what version of MiniZ you have, afaik
current MR03 (stock comes 2.4) is quite different
to older MR01/2 (stock comes with 27MHz AM).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.