Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out and bought myself a cen 7.7 but the thing just wont start
the glow plug is heating, carbie is open enought to let fuel in.. just wont go for some reason. and another thing, the pull start wont fully retract now (possibly from my anger) can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
They sense anger and frustration. Be patient, it might be an idea to lean the high speed needle slightly because it may be drowning the engine with fuel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like it is getting fuel, I held my finger over the exaust to prime it. Maybe the glow heater isnt charged enough.. Will give it another burl in a few hours. Will my Pull start be stuffed for good now? Since it doesnt fully return

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Your recoil spring in the pullstart is probably stuffed, but you may still be able to fix it.

I suggest you look for another starting method such as a roto/shaft/torque start which will save you lots of grief in the long run.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Pull the glow plug out and test it with the glow ignitor, you will see if either the plug is rooted or the battery is flat, you may need to adjust the needle settings as the standard seetings are not allways correct

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know what the standard settings are? I cant find anything about them in the books.. or anything about which screws are which

·
Registered
717 Posts
I once experienced the joy
of helping get one of these started. After much trial and error we...

1) Loosened off the glowplug
2) directed a hair dryer at the barrel of the engine for about 10 mins
3) Pull the starter in short sharp pulls, never pull it out more than about 20cms

I can't remember if we had to lean it out to get it started. They are hard to start due to the massive compression, but it can be done.

Good Luck!

Edited by: Caleb

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
This is what I dug out from Cen.

For NX 46, GST 7.7 Model:</span>
Genesis 46, Nemesis 7.7, GST 7.7
Top end: 3 41/2 turns out
Bottom end: Flush 1 turns out
Idle gap: 1mm
Recommended Engine Temp: 250F to 260F

Hope this helps...If not have a look at the pic for all factory settings from Cen

Edited by: monster

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JOY! Got the beast running.. Turns out the plug wasnt heating up enough, and it was flooded etc.. Run-in tank 1 is done, but its going to be a bit late by the time it cools down to do the 2nd.. Hopefully get it all done tommorrow so i can go have some fun

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
<DIV>Yes but do not fit it to your car until you have put at least a good 4 litres through it. The manual specifically tells you not to fit a rotostart until a couple of gallons have gone through the engine because the engine is still so tight andthat you will destroy the gearing on rotostart.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The manual is correct ...</DIV>

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I have heard that many times as well, but that makes me question why some brands put roto starts on there engines from the start in rtr kits

*cough*savage*cough*

·
Registered
461 Posts
Stoogey said:
I have heard that many times as well, but that makes me question why some brands put roto starts on there engines from the start in rtr kits

*cough*savage*cough*

Maybe because HPI think people who buy their product will be smart enough to realise that just loosening off the glow plug slightly while starting a new engine will lower the compression enough not to damage the rotostart or OWB. I guess it's when people who have other inferior brands try to startan engine with rotostart fitted run into problems

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
<DIV>
Stoogey said:

*cough*savage*cough*
</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Big difference in displacement here, CEN is a .46 and the Savage with roto is what .25 or there abouts? </DIV>

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can put a rotostart on a new.46,if you loosen off the glow plug when starting its all good..mines been fine never a problem with the starter..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the truck back to the shop i got it from and they replaced the pull start free of charge
been through 3ltrs of fuel today, god damn it is so fast! still hasnt come out of first gear, and still running really rich.. im kinda scared of the speed this thing must be able to do when its fine tuned

1 - 20 of 22 Posts