Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200ml bottle of 2 stroke oil. It's from Ryobi "2 stroke synthetic fortified oil". it says its designed for hedge trimmers, lawn mowers, line trimmers, generators, chainsaws etc. It also says lubricant designed for all 2 stroke motors. Will it work for a baja 5b or do i have to get some sought of special 2 stroke oil??

· Registered
2,170 Posts
I have a 200ml bottle of 2 stroke oil. It's from Ryobi "2 stroke synthetic fortified oil". it says its designed for hedge trimmers, lawn mowers, line trimmers, generators, chainsaws etc. It also says lubricant designed for all 2 stroke motors. Will it work for a baja 5b or do i have to get some sought of special 2 stroke oil??
This is tricky. Its saying two different things. Its telling you its designed for hedge trimmers, lawn mowers, line trimmers, generators, and chainsaws. Then it tells you its designed for all 2stroke. Its confusing eh!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea mate its confusing but some of the other blokes on here told me id need to get a 2 stroke oil from supercheap auto or a motorbike shop. Castrol, gokart or motorbike 2 stroke oil. So guess this one is no use!!! lol

· Premium Member
6,665 Posts
if that's the only stuff you've got on hand & nothing else, heck it'll work.
Its still 2T oil, can find small bottles in petrol station stores etc.
At worst its same stuff as comes in the small bottle in HPI kits.

The 'good' stuff that ppl carryon about probably goes thru cleaner... you hope. :)

Mix it into fresh premium unleaded and its only about 4% by volume anyway.

· Registered
3,652 Posts
i wouldnt risk it, it sounds like what you have is a general purpose two stroke oil, what you have is a very high revving two stroke engine.

get to a motor bike shop and purcahse motul 800 or the castrol racing stuff. you need an oil that can handle high rpm, general two stroke oil does not bacuse garden epquipment doesnt rev. dont risk you motor because of the cost of good oil!

check your online hobby shop, most large hobby shops now sell two stroke oil and usually very good quality stuff too.

· Registered
873 Posts
I'm thinking if you are totally stuck and cant get anything else, you could risk it, but these engines rev way harder than any whipper snipper or lawn mower, so it would be a risk, for the sake of a few dollars, it's a risk I personally wouldn't take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
107 Posts
mate, motul oil is what most 2 stroke motorbikes run on dont forget some bloke said the earth was flat to i think if you ask around or do a search you will find that about 70%of the guys here run on motul

· Registered
1,841 Posts
mate, motul oil is what most 2 stroke motorbikes run on dont forget some bloke said the earth was flat to i think if you ask around or do a search you will find that about 70%of the guys here run on motul
For starters, if you do a search you will find a couple of threads on this.

Secondly there is a vast cross section of different oils out there that people use.

Thirdly it makes little difference in the brand that you use these days. Just make sure it is a good quality fully synthetic.

Do not use cheap ass lawnmower mineral oil as it will wear your engine alot quicker.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
For starters, if you do a search you will find a couple of threads on this.

Secondly there is a vast cross section of different oils out there that people use.

Thirdly it makes little difference in the brand that you use these days. Just make sure it is a good quality fully synthetic.

Do not use cheap ass lawnmower mineral oil as it will wear your engine alot quicker.
the frog has spoken... this thread can no longer have any usefull information added to it...

· Registered
2,700 Posts
Royal purple is the best hands down, a 125 250 or 500 doesnt rev in the high teens............. your cy or zen does

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.