Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
ok customs is GST basically, so thats what u pay "normally" sometimes more, so say u order a 600AUD car thats approx. 60 dollars tax, plus post/courier costs, for example last week i imported a pair of inline hockey skates cost 360.ooAUD then customs of 33.00, the 46.00 in Federal Express Courier charghes, although i was pleased with fedex service and comprehensive tracking sysem so i would allow 100.00 in customs, nick(star guitar)imported a savage 88.00 customs he used aussie post. hope this helped

check out www.customs.gov.au

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Evilhomer (he..he..),

What would the total order be approximately? For instance I brought in a brand new HPI Micro RS4, Radio Gear, and Hopups which was about $350US including postage, and I didn't get charged any duty or taxes.

When I brought my Savage in, as PeeDee suggested, I paid 10% of the Aussie Dollar value of the goods plus postage. If the goods are sent via USPS, you will not normally incure any other charges as it is typically informally cleared and Aussie Post will collect the money from you when you pick it up.

When courier companies bring the goods in for you, Fedex, UPS, etc, they will normally do the customs processing for you, however they do charge a fee.

SO.... WHAT THE HELL DOES ALL THAT MEAN.....

Typically count on 10% of the goods plus postage. Keep any single order under $1000 Aussie, it gets complicated if you break that barrier. If you count on 10% and it gets through, your in front, but typically it will not be more than that.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Evilhomer - you never know your luck.... worst case you are probably looking at 45-50 bucks Aussie in GST.

Morphy - yes you can do it yourself, customs charge about $52 (I think) as a processing fee once it becomes a "formal" clearance. I think the hurdle from "informal" to "formal" is about $1000.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Speaking of importing gear from the us, who would you recommend to buy from stateside ? I hear Tower Hobbies' name popping up a lot. I'm not really sure what car I want yet. Is american radio gear ok to use out here ? Decisions, decisions............

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
RiZZa,

American radio gear is "accepted" as long as it is the 27Mhz frequency. the ACA LPID Class licence covers 27Mhz.

75Mhz is not acceptable.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Following the discussions, I bought some gear from Integy last year which was just over au$250 and I got slugged au$99 for customs.... does it mean I got ripped off? I paid the fee to fedex...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Fedex can be a pain in the arse. As a courier company, they generally process everything though customs as they can extract a "Processing Fee" from you.

USPS is a postal service and it is therefore up to customs what they stop. They have such a large volume that any smaller package (typically I have found under 500 Aussie), they couldn't care less about. For them to process these packages, would cost them as much as the GST they collect.

Fedex is a fast way of getting stuff here, as is UPS, but they often put the goods through customs where USPS would have come in duty free.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
Ausrc is on the money there, I ordered my NTC3 RTR through Stormer hobbies in the US who sent it via UPS. I was expecting to pay gst and customs but to my delight it came straight to my door no hassles! I wound up saving myself 400+ dollars AUD on it! it's almost seems silly to buy any kit in Australia at the moment... my friend did the same with Stormer, smaller accessories it's no so economical, but car kits it's definitely worth it. I wound up paying 400 AUD on the dot for it back when the Aussie Dollar was at .80c.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Just remember that the duty payable will be based on what the sender declares the value at... so if they price it high, that is what you will pay for. If the on other hand the UNDER estimate the value of the goods then that is all you will pay.

G

·
That's certainly a valid point. I emailed Stormer hobbies to see if they could declare it as a gift so I could avoid the gst slug, but they said they wouldn't due to the strict anti terror laws they've got now in the US. So it was all declared accurately, just seems it differs between postal services and courier services...

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Racer X said:
That's certainly a valid point. I emailed Stormer hobbies to see if they could declare it as a gift so I could avoid the gst slug, but they said they wouldn't due to the strict anti terror laws they've got now in the US. So it was all declared accurately, just seems it differs between postal services and courier services...

Another thing to consider, is that any item that comes in as a 'warranty repair' is also exempt. I have been told this is because you already paid the duty on the original item. This has worked for me on several occasions with packages via UPS (not USPS) valued at over USD$1,500.00!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Racer X said:
... strict anti terror laws they've got now in the US.

hmm... yeah. Like would really like to see written on the CN22 declaration:

"1x Mail Bomb. Net Weight 10kg. Value $10,000. (tick)Gift"

That'll make my day.

Err... that'll make my *last* day too, huh?

G

·
LOL yar yar,
I spose they get their asses kicked if they bend the truth, it sounded like a cop out to me but I didn't have to pay the gstin theend anyways..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the real costs....

If you import something that is A$0.00 - A$249.00, then the shipment is screen free (no formal clearance required.) If its A$250.00+ then it must have a formal clearance done (nature 7). This can be done yourself (Entry for home consumption) but unless you know the Tarriff Item number, Stat Code, good with maths etc i wouldn't advise it. A Customs broker will charge between A$45.00 - A$65.00 to do the clearance for you and will need to pay GST, Customs entry charge, TradegateFee, possible duty (between 3-5%) and of course insurance and freight. If your unlucky enough to have your import "red-lined" by customs then you may be up for more fees and additional delay.

It may sound cheap to buy off-shore but don't forget to take into consideration of the destination charges that may be applicable.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.