Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first ever post here so I know I'm a newbie.

Ok so here's the story,
I bought a HSP brushless rally truck on eBay the other day and out of the box it is running horribly. I'm new to the scene and have no idea what the problem Is and was hoping you could help.

When I hold it in the air everythings fine but as soon as it hits the ground the problems start. I have near to no reverse and the power eiether isn't there or it surges like crazy. Same goes for forward, it's jumpy as and can't keep constant power and when I do get a full power burst it is just uncontrolable. I have tried all the trims on the remote but to no improvement. I think it could be a problem with the receiver? But I dint have enough experience to say anything for sure. Steering is fine, it's just the inability to control the power in forward and reverse that's the problem. If you need any more info to diognoze the problem please let me know. I really hope you can help me out.

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
G'day Sean,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby/addiction.

What battery are you using?
Most high power brushless sytems need decent-ish batteries, inadequate batteries tend to do as you described.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Welcome Sean. Sorry to say this right off the bat but you kind of bought a brand that is well known for having issues. HSP is not a high quality product by any means but there is still fun to be had with it if you can spend some time on it to sort out few of those issues. Unfortunately people new to the hobby usually don't have the know-how but we should be able to help you. You came to the right place.

First of all check all the wires that are going into the receiver. Are any of them pinched/damaged in any way? Is the antenna wire fully extended and up? If that checks out then have a read of the manual that came with the car and look up the binding procedure for the radio. Go through it and bind the transmitter to the receiver but first set all the trims to zero. Next up you will have to set the throttle end points on the ESC. That is also in the manual. Basically you have to teach the ESC (speed controller) where neutral, full throttle and brake/reverse is. In most cases this should sort it out but if the problem still persists try unplugging the servo wire from the receiver and then try driving the car on the ground slowly and just for short distance. If you get smooth throttle and full control of it then it is more than likely that the servo is buggered and that could be causing the issue. If the problem is still there then in all likelihood there could be something wrong with your radio or even the ESC.

Hope that has been of some help. If you still have issues someone in your area might be able to help. We'll see who chimes in. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds like it could be cogging real bad ,are all the motor wires plugged in properly ?
I bought a hobbyking beetle for my daughter and the esc was dead on arrival, it cogged so bad it hit thermal shutdown in a minute

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I'm with B-B, I've had similar issues before and it's always been either a faulty ESC or a faulty servo. I'd try it without the servo and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, either the motor wires are dodgy or the ESC is stuffed.

Should've come here before you bought the HSP. We probably could've got you something better for your money. :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running Nimh at the moment because I can interchange them with my drift car ( also HSP :/ ) I have 2000, 3000 and 4600 all at 7.2. It's less than a day Old should I just send it back and get a new one or get them to fix it? I believe the store I bought it from has a 30 day return policy. I won't have a chance to send it back until Monday to I'll try and do the binding procedures again over the weekend.

Also chuggz, I think I'm also getting a thermal shut down. I was hoping to start out this and then upgrade to a slash when I got the hang of it, sorta regretting that choice now I guess.

If alyone else has some advice feel free to chime in :) I'm willing to try anything before Monday to get it working.
Cheers for all the advice :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This thread is the perfect advertisement for supporting your local hobby shop..

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm running Nimh, the store I bought it from has a 30 day return policy
I would guess those batteries are the reason behind your problem, Nimh just cant put out the power needed and their voltage sags too much.
Takes a decent Nimh to handle brushless, just cheaper and easier to go with Lipo these days.

Also, if you have the opportunity to take it back for a refund, go for it, HSP stuff just isn't worth the hassle.
Plenty of people on this forum who could help/advise you to get something better and more enjoyable.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's less than a day Old should I just send it back and get a new one or get them to fix it? I believe the store I bought it from has a 30 day return policy. I won't have a chance to send it back until Monday to I'll try and do the binding procedures again over the weekend.
Also chuggz, I think I'm also getting a thermal shut down. I was hoping to start out this and then upgrade to a slash when I got the hang of it, sorta regretting that choice now I guess.

If it's one day old then send it back.

Go online to tower or aamain and buy a Slash. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I got a reply back from the today. It reads :

"Again, you need to setup the throttle, yours is not setup, the forward and reverse percentage is wrong.
If you believe it is faulty, please send it back. we will check.
Please send it back if you are sure it is factory defect."

So my question is, how do I set up the throttle?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I tried to use a nihm battery in my Traxxas Rally and I thought the car was broken. Lasted 2 minutes, sporadic power etc. Put a 2S battery in and it turned into a monster. Most fun ever.

I hope it's the same issue for you because it's easy/cheap to fix :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
341 Posts
Was there any instructions with it? If so there may be something about adjusting the ESC, Transmitter etc.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does the manual say how to set up esc endpoints?
If not post up a pic of what the esc looks like,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there was instructions and i tried it a few times and nothing changed. ill try again tonight. and post pics later tonight.

wheres the best place to get a slash arround frankston way? and how much should it set me back?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If it was a calibration needed between the ESC and radio, it would not do that, it would be like it all the time.
If it was glitching, that could possibly be due to a faulty radio or maybe the receiver wire is touching some carbon fibre or metal maybe?
I'd be about 90% sure its the batteries thats causing the problem, you wont see the problem off the ground because there is minimal load on the whole setup.

I'm not sure about the hobby shops in your area but anything made by Losi, Associated, Traxxas, HPI, Tamiya etc would be much better.
Will be more expensive but you wont have as many problems as the HSP will go through.
Depending on what you want to spend, it may not be 4wd though.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I know LiPo's out-perform NiMH's, but surely the difference can't be that drastic. I use nothing but Nickel batts and my cars go plenty fast without any inconsistencies in power (granted, they're traxxas and duratrax branded).

If it is a case of low quality batteries, then HSP cars must come with some absolute shockers.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know LiPo's out-perform NiMH's, but surely the difference can't be that drastic. I use nothing but Nickel batts and my cars go plenty fast without any inconsistencies in power (granted, they're traxxas and duratrax branded).

If it is a case of low quality batteries, then HSP cars must come with some absolute shockers.
I had a Hobbywing 60a esc and 4300kv motor (the 380 sized one with the fins) and used Nimh's and it did the same thing, I tried the same batteries in another truck with the same problems, I ended up trying 2 NIMH's in parallel and the issues while still there, were no where near as bad.
I got a lipo and all those problems went away.

I would love a traxxas slash 4x4. But could I get a new one for arround 450?
In Aus, I'm not too sure (might come close maybe?), but online you should be able to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It came with a 2000 Nimh battery. So it should work with that yeah? I'm just going to send it back if the battery is the problem ( I have no way to check if it is) I'm gOnna ask for a refund too because it's ment to be ready to run. My other car never did this. I'll have all day Sunday to try problem solving and see where it gets me.

I was planning to get lipo for a slash but not this. It cost me 182 shipped not willIng to pour money into a ready to run car, just to get it to run haha.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts