Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of these yet?

Any idea how the car would go with one on in racing conditions? (we are allowed to race with coupe shells here)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Strange thing is that the REAL RX8 is a 4-door car.... so it should be fine... not too sure about the HPI body though, didn't look like there was rear doors on the one I saw, may just have been me though... again...

Alex

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
HPI's RX8 is 4-door as per real. Haven't seen any new HPIs on sale down here lately.

But the real IFMAR/ROAR/whatever rules say body must be based on a car that actually races in 1:1 touring car or similar.

Which leaves the 'new' PROTOform Nemesis on shakey ground:

Local racing clubs aren't usually that pedantic, they usually allow you to run anything in the lower classes - check their specific rules. (Guess if you start running away with their annual championship then they might reconsider.)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nemesis looks very similar to the mazda6

I am just curious to see how well the rx8 body handles compared to a proper TC body. No issue with racing with it here we have ppl racing saleen bodies, impreza and corolla wrc, TVR, a viper, even a ute!

I wouldnt mind the rx8 for my next car, but only if it will handle ok with it.

The windscreen is a lot further back than a stratus or m6 etc, but it does also come with a proper race wing.

And yes it is 4 door

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nemesis has (A) small & domed roof from the Alfa 156, (B) nose from Stratus 2.0, (C) lights from Integra RSX and (D) tail from uh I dunno, Mazda6? 300M Chrysler??

RX8's windscreen so far back probably means there's less steering, won't be as balanced as a 6 or Strat 2.

Have been scouting around for one but haven't found any new HPIs around lately. Think it might look good on the TB02 drifter...

Currently planning a paintjob on a HPI Mitsu Eclipse. Might just go for a "riceboy" paintjob.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes would be a nice drifter body indeed

Ahh less steering just provides more of a challenge in the suspension setup, challenges are good

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Nah, understeerers are 'safe' but never fast around a track. Always need as much steering as you can get without the tail getting too loose.

Suspension setup cannot compensate for aerodynamics... suspension controls low-speed response, bodyshape affects high-speed response & handling.

Mitsu Eclipse not really a drift car... isn't the 1:1 a FWD??
Besides its not even a Jap car... its made in USA right??

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the eclipse comes in both FWD and AWD, but not sure... As for being made in the USA, I think so and they are also sold as a Dodge or something too.

There is a red one here in Hobart that has badges for some USA manufacturer... could it be Chev? I doubt. I think Mitsu and Chrysler are tied up somewhere along the line...

Oh well I might get an RX8 shell just as a "show" body, see what it is like anyhow. Maybe it needs some bonnet wings like you can get for the 1:1 Celica, that mount on the scuttle panel area ahead of the windscreen.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the yank version of the eclipse is known as the talon. dunno which manufacturer is though

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Yeah, "Eagle Talon".

Might also be a "Plymouth Laser"??

Yep there's an AWD version also, otherwise FWD.

They're all built in the USA, none came from Japan.

There's a couple of grey-import Eclipses around up here too, in both body shapes (old & current). From far they can get mistake as Hyundai SCoupes...

Sounds like Mitsu Oz have given up importing it too, even though it starred in the TV ads about a yr ago.

G

·
Currently planning a paintjob on a HPI Mitsu Eclipse. Might just go for a "riceboy" paintjob.

hmmm go a white bod with black bonnet,

or do the paint colour of a "rice" magna down here in launny. the front
is white, the middle is blue, the rear is a silver i think, maybe
white, but the ironing board(wing) is painted pink. which there is a
strip on the bonnet and comes along the side close to the windows..man
is that thing ugly..

that nemisis is stll nice though..

also what does the wing really do for a rc car??...i know the one on my
bmw drifter is just for looks, but the stratus i have has no wing, will
this help speed?.or will it make it worse?

Nismo

</font>

·
Registered
596 Posts
don't think mitsu australia will be bringing the eclipse into the country anytime soon. as for losing a rear wing, the back end of the car gets a bit more lively on high speed corners

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just buy a new body they are only $39 and the wing is moulded into the same piece of plastic as the rest of the body.

But I think you may be able to buy wings seperately

·
Registered
596 Posts
both proline/protoform and tamiya have wings for sale separately. quite possibly someone near you may have a trashed body from which you could get a wing off for free

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
PROTOform/Proline make some nice generic molded wings (not lexan, like common 1/8 buggy) but can't seem to find them at LHS here.

Tamiya sells their racewing (very nice THICK lexan, on ABS standoffs with choice of angle) separately too; same wing as comes on Modena 360, Nissan 350Z, newer NSXes - it'll fit on most other shells too. Usually about $20 at LHS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.