Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a 5000mAh 20c 7.4 (2s) LiPo battery and I need to store it because I am going on vacation. When I go into the lipo storage section on my imax it comes up with two settings. One where i can change the (A) from 0.1 to 1.0. The other one lets me change the type of cell it is eg. 7.4 (2s),11.1 (3s) etc. Could someone tell me what settings to chose for my battery because I don't want to cause any damage to it whilst im away.

Thank You

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Assuming it is discharging down to storage voltage select 1.0 amp

Your charger probably has a discharge limit (usually 5 watts for 50 watt chargers) and it will limit the currrent anyway

5 watts / 8.4v = 0.6 amps

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can someone also confirm what "storage" is in days.. I have read that you shouldn't leave I lipo fully charged for more than 4 days?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If i need multiple batteries i will start charging them 24 hours ahead...... as soon as i'm home they go on storage

so basically if im not using them within 24 hours, they are being stored.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow.. thanks. Is that common practice? How many weekend bashers would be leaving them sit for a week fully charged?

·
Vendor
759 Posts
The longer you leave your batteries in a charged (and to a lesser extent discharged) state, the worse it is for them. Chemically, when the battery is charged the electrolyte is full of electrons. In that state, the material within the electrolyte starts to create crystalline structures which resist breaking down and releasing their electrons when you discharge aka use the battery.
Do that enough times and you will notice the battery is slowly looses its ability to maintain the same voltage and power output in the same application (say in the same aircraft or car). The battery will also generate more heat when in use and the IR (internal resistance) for the battery will start to rise.

I charge batteries the night before if I'm going flying but as Godles said, discharge to storage voltage ASAP after getting back.

Storage mode works for both charged and discharged batteries, it will charge up if the voltage is too low, and discharge if too high. The B6 only allows for a 1A discharge, so its far quicker to store a battery from a discharged state than it is from a charged state.

~3.75v/cell is storage voltage btw :)

·
Vendor
759 Posts
Wow.. thanks. Is that common practice? How many weekend bashers would be leaving them sit for a week fully charged?
Lots I would imagine. This is one of the largest issues for LiPos IMO as the longer they sit charged, the greater the IR grows. Once the IR has reached a certain point you will start to generate significant heat during charging and use.
Again, that's why you RESPECT THE LIPO! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts