Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i got my 1/8th starter box...

but it wont turn over theflywheel.......

do i need to remove my pull start on my engine??

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
No you don't have to remove your pullstart. The only way your pullstart can 'jam' the engine is if your starterbox is trying to turn it over backwards.

Is your car suitable for a starterbox?? Some pullstart engines use smaller flywheels which do not protrude enough thru the hole and the starterbox's wheel hits the chassis before it contacts the flywheel.

If that's not the problem then your starterbox just needs adjustment.

You should be able to sit your car on the starterbox and nothing happens. Only when you push down then the motor engages, wheel spins. Push down a bit more and then the spinning wheel touches the flywheel.

You must adjust your starterbox settings to have all 3 positions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
nismospeed said:
wouldnt a pullstart be better for general bashing??

Nismo

I've been very impressed with the starter boxes. I'm all for anything that makes life easier. After seeing my mates pullstart touring car - I'm very glad I've got a rotostart.

Never had a problem with the rotostart and if I have problems with the mechanism in the future - I'll gladly fix it before I'd buy a pull start. That's my personal preference anyhow.

Why do so many people take out their electric gear in favour of a pull start?

Jerrah.

G

·
ok then, but im guessing if you just start out, youd go with a pull start to save on the cost of the starter box yes???

Nismo

·
Registered
405 Posts
nismospeed said:
ok then, but im guessing if you just start out, youd go with a pull start to save on the cost of the starter box yes???

Perhaps. Savage RTR came with the rotostart though..

We're going off topic here...
Any further comment --> General.

Jerrah.

G

·
We're going off topic here...
Any further comment --> General.

still got to do with a starterbox and the way its used, so i dont see it off topic...

but the starter box is like an electric version of a pullstart?

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Goodcall on going of topic, the topic is actually "Starter Boxes".

A lot of chassis', the Pro Tourers for instance -ie the V-One-RR,cannot use pull start engines, and therefore a starter box is the only way to start the car (or some other flywheel interactive device). As Zoomer said, the starter box interacts with the flywheel, where as most other starting methods, Roto, Pull, EZ-Start, etc, all interact via a shaft connected to the arse end of the crank.

I think from Kevs point of view, Zoomers question regarding suitability of the chassis to utilise a Startbox is the primary issue.

Regards,

AUSRC

G

·
I think from Kevs point of view, Zoomers question regarding suitability
of the chassis to utilise a Startbox is the primary issue.

does that mean the topic is closed...

cause this starter box stuff is interesting, and there is not much point starting a new topic again...

but yes i now see why some cars use a starterbox, also, would that mean
the motor would be any better without the weight of the pullstart???

Nismo

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
nismospeed said:
does that mean the topic is closed...

Nup, just means it is about Starter boxes....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi peeps...

I got my starter box "fixed" .. the wires were crossed and it was spinning the starter box motor in the wrong direction.... anyway...

this is the best $150 i have spent on my RC car to date!!! especially if you got a big block engine!!!

i feel sorry looking at the other people haveing to use a pull start

p.s i bought a Q-world single motor starter box (the motor is ratedaround 700) for $120 + 25 for a 12v which i can charge using my car charger!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Bingo.

zoomer said:
No you don't have to remove your pullstart. The only way your pullstart can 'jam' the engine is if your starterbox is trying to turn it over backwards.

nismospeed said:
also, would that mean the motor would be any better without the weight of the pullstart???

Weight of pullstart isn't really noticeable on a nitro car, but don't forget there's always that oneway bearing riding on an extra little shaft on the tail of the crankshaft. That's 1 extra bushing & the drag from the oneway bearing to consider... and it shows in lower RPM.

You can have 2 identical engines 1 with pullstart, the other will have 5-10% higher max revs in the stats.

Starterbox is handy if you can be bothered carrying extra stuff. Most useful for running in cars, that's when they are hardest to start & keep going. I usually run in the 1st few tanks on the starterbox.

A well-tuned car should restart on first yank though. I hate trying to help start other ppl's cars especially the crappy tuners or bad engines. (Big reason why I love OS engines.)

Pullstarts T-bars can cause embarrassing blisters between the fingers after too much yanking...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts