Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McCanns Model World in the Hobart CBD was advertised for sale in
Saturdays news paper, didnt say how much they want for it though...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think it would be very dangerious for me to own a LHS - but it would be a dream job...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Why not pose as an interested buyer, ask what they wantand get a copy of their Section 52?? Don't hurt to find out.

Oz hobby industry is always a very tough biz environment though - LHSes that survive have my utmost respect. Oz Small population = small market, selling niche products to a small group of hobbyists. Wages & fixed costs are high, all the usual distributors want their cut then now you've got serious competition from online shopping & mailorder.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
I would think that if a LHS was to develop a good online catalogue that would really help their cause... Tower gets me in because I always find something that I want. That happens because they have an excellent searchable catalogue.

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Skidd said:
I would think that if a LHS was to develop a good online catalogue that would really help their cause... Tower gets me in because I always find something that I want. That happens because they have an excellent searchable catalogue.

Yep its the same when you walk into a LHS, you always walk out with more than you went there for!. The same happens online except I am online more than i go to LHS cos its easier. Turn computer on and search as opposed to drive down to LHS!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
About the only thing I buy for the LHS now is ANT tubes and fuel, but alas I always walk out with more gear...

Why have a shop front? Most rc guys use 95% online stores...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
A bricks-n-mortar LHS wouldn't bother catering for guys already buying online.

Otherwise Umm... it'll be a pretty ironic oxymoron, wouldn't it? just think about it a while...

---------------------------------------

Section 52 is the statement of business performance that the vendor is legally required to supply as part of the Contract of Sale for a small business. It should list the last 3 years' trading performance as declared on the proprietor's tax returns.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
zoomer said:
A bricks-n-mortar LHS wouldn't bother catering for guys already buying online.

Otherwise Umm... it'll be a pretty ironic oxymoron, wouldn't it? just think about it a while...

No I don't agree there mate... I know many stores that have great internet sites/catalogues as well as shop fronts. EasyDVD is a good example. Bricks and mortar shops are what I'd rather frequent, but I'd also buy from them if they had a good searchable catalogue. I'd be happy to pay higher prices locally if it avoided the OS shipping time.

Just my $0.02

BTW... I think a S52 is a particular Victorian thing (also called a Form 3)... though I'm sure there will be a Tasmanian equiv.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never heard of S52 here but thats not to say it doesnt exist.
It would make some interesting reading
This particular shop has a bit of a rep that new owners would do well
to shake... that being of parts taking a month to get in (even tamiya
parts) and they need to stock more than TL01 kits and parts...

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Skidd said:
No I don't agree there mate... I know many stores that have great internet sites/catalogues as well as shop fronts. EasyDVD is a good example. Bricks and mortar shops are what I'd rather frequent, but I'd also buy from them if they had a good searchable catalogue. I'd be happy to pay higher prices locally if it avoided the OS shipping time.

Not seeking agreement there, but reality is Tower is huge -unimaginably huge- and EzyDVD is a franchised chain of stores. Either one would have a turnover of many many times that of a little suburban LHS who's a single operator small business who cannot justify the investment in time & money to setup an online shopping facility.

I frequent my LHS because I need bits & its nearby, seldom just because they have an online front. Most shops I have checked up on don't increase their sales all that much after they've setup an online presence - its usually not enough to justify spending ~$50k+ on IT.

And really... once you're mailordering, it don't make any difference between getting it sent from US, Perthor Tasmania - all still have to wait for Mr Postie.

As a matter of history Australian LHSes traditionally did a lot of mailorder for the surrounding 'country' regions. This part of the trade was a large part of sales for some LHSes... some of which have since shut down or are up 'For Sale' in recent years.

Their lost mailorder business has sapped by newcomers either online businesses centralised in Oz (eg RMS) or overseas especially last 5yrs by internet making things easier.

But mailorder is not a new thing... used to buy Kyosho parts from UK in the 1980s. Tower has been going since the 1970s and you'd just airmail your order to them, every yr they'd send you that glossy catalog.

BTW... I think a S52 is a particular Victorian thing (also called a Form 3)... though I'm sure there will be a Tasmanian equiv.

yeah, we just call it the s52. But the Tas & SA guys we talk to daily seem to know what we're talking about... must them see what they say.

Tassie govt issued this, good worthwhilereading for "due diligence":- http://www.development.tas.gov.au/publications/businessguides/buying.pdf

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
LOL... Zoomer I wasn't trying to infer you were seeking or even needing my agreement, just putting a differing opinion forward is all.

FWIW... I've been involved in helping (in a small way) with an on-line side of our business andto link your inventory / ordering database system with a searchable internet plug in isn't really that hard or expensive.

In business those that do not move with the times will go the way of the Dodo.

My $0.02

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
yep, plenty of dodos still in the market today.

Some are trying to change, some are not - I got my bets in already.

The latter are usually the ones who keep whinging that the Oz suppliers are overcharging etc etc... which is true to a certain extent, but not 100%. But if you grey-import then the official importers have a right not to deal with you too, it works both ways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts