Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys how are you all?
Im so new to this hobby I cant seem to start my car! weird thing is i dont know if the engine is flooded or not i have taken the glow plug out and pulled a few times and put a piece of paper over the heat sink and its not getting wet or no fuel is splashing out etc... i even see the piston going up and down etc... actually before i start getting questions as im going to look for my local hobby shop tommorrow and get new glow plugs and a proper glow plug warmer! and then ill try it again but from the description i've said about checking if my engine is flooded does it seem to you guys that my engine wasnt flooded and that my glow plug or glow plug warmer is the problem? how else can i de-flood my engine? and when starting the car can i not prime the fuel and just block my exhaust pipe and keep pulling the pull starter if so how many pulls will i be pulling? and should the throttle rod be pushed into the carb when the car is trying to start or should it be out (i have a slide carb) all comments apprieciated guys
anyone in the melbourne area can help me out preferably in the western suburbs!

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Flooded engine will be very hard to pull due to "hydraulic lock" - assuming you are using a manual hand pullstarter. If electric then of course you won't 'feel' the difference.

Are you sure there's fuel going in even?

Prime either with the primer (if there is one) or covering the exhaust & cranking does the same thing too. Watch the fuel supply line - you should see the fuel moving up line towards the carb. As soon as it reaches the carb STOP priming, or you will flood it.

If fuel is moving in then fine. If not, you should check for fuel line leaks - replace all tubing if you don't know how old it is.

Glow plug... take it out, connect it to its 1.5V and see if it glows bright. If it doesn't glow its dead, put a new one in. If it does glow then it should work (not guaranteed) but at the very least it should make the engine pop a bit.

Are you using fresh fuel? Model fuel, I hope. (Not petrol, unleaded or otherwise.) Fuel does go stale, don't use stuff that's been sitting for more than a few weeks. Always buy fresh stuff - frequently, in small quantities.

btw, would be helpful to know what car, what engine & what's its history too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heyyyyyyy thanks for the info!

i think it was 2 reasons why it didnt start!

first time it didnt start coz i flooded it i reakon! or the glow plug warmer clip was not connected to the glow plug properly (its like those terminal clips yet one side of the clip clips on to the heat sink and the other to sit on top of the plug.

Went out to mack's today and got a proper glo plug warmer which you just plug it over the glow plug.

Now the second reason why it wouldnt start i reakon was coz the throttle sleeve was not in a close position! so yea!

Anyhowz i got it to start now! but yea i've turn both the highend and lowend screws around before getting it to start like 2 days ago so its way out of tune! :p and its too loud for backyard use! (thinks of a good school to bash around)

Anyways thanks zoomer !!! appriecate it heaps :) oh yea its just a tamiya GTX dont know much about the history but i think its got a FS-12 in it or a OPS .15 *shurgs*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts