Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to the forum and to nitro cars. Had electric for years and years around the time of the Tamiya Advante etc :)

My qestion is I have a new Nitro car its just one of the cheapo HSP Warheads and I got a starter kit from the local hobby store, see link below and the limited instructions that came with the strarter kit says that the starter will charge in 3 1/2 hours but most of the documentation I find and comments from owners mention 10-12 hours charge time, which ones right?

I tried it after 3 1/2 hours and it wouldnt start the car, but im not sure if its the starter or that I havent done something right to get the motor to turn over.

Any help would be great. :thumb:

http://www.trendtimes.com/nistkit.html

·
Registered
873 Posts
starting prob

I was told 5 hrs plus try heating the motor up a bit with a hairdryer or heat gun

·
Registered
715 Posts
I charge mine regularly at 10-12 hours. But charge it for 5 hours when you first get it. You can always check if it is glowing by attaching it to the glow plug when it is not in the car.

If it will not start it might be a tuning problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told 5 hrs plus try heating the motor up a bit with a hairdryer or heat gun
Thanks mate that did the trick, the head was stone cold, hit with the hair dryer for 10 seconds , pulled the starter 3 times and up it went. :)

Can anyone tell me how many starts you will get out of a starter? I have tried to start the car about 4 times without luck, then ran 3 tanks of fuel once I did get it started, then tried to start it again and I think it wont start as the glowplug heater/starter is dead, does that sound about right for what you would get out of one?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would estimate I get about 100 starts out of my glow starter.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
On the back of the charger for the glo igniter there will be some figures to help determine charge times.

You are looking for the amount of mah,
it will prob read something like
Input 220~240V AC
Output 1.2V 150mah

Take the number of mah of the glo igniter and divide the chargers output number into it and you will have an approx charge time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the back of the charger for the glo igniter there will be some figures to help determine charge times.

You are looking for the amount of mah,
it will prob read something like
Input 220~240V AC
Output 1.2V 150mah

Take the number of mah of the glo igniter and divide the chargers output number into it and you will have an approx charge time.

Thanks for that, it works out to be 11 hours, far long than the box says. It says 3 hours.... :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts