Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
How long is peice of string?

I have had new plugs last 2 mins... some last 4 + litres of fuel

your tune plays a major part in all this but a plug can just die no matter how old or new it is

Dave

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I agree with the Skyline buddy above. (White R33 too. LOL)

Also the other varibles are fuel and even the engine it self. Some fuels are more kind than others. Same deal with engines. Some are very kind to the plugs and some just eat them like a fat person eats fried chicken. My LRP engines never dropped a plug while running. I only ever change the plug after about 4 liters as a matter of precaution. Worried about dropping the element and ruining the piston/sleve or both.
Tune is another thing like noted above. Rich or lean, neither is good for plug life. Have to be spot on.
What engine are you running?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 not all fat people like fried chicken E.g me
2 i do not have a car yet but ordered hyper 7 black edition
I just want to stock up on parts

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
If you are stocking up on parts, here is a list of items you may want as spares.

*glo plugs
*varied weight shock oils (25, 30, 35, 40, 45)
*varied weight diff oils (1000, 2000, 5000, 7000, 10 000)
*a couple of different sets of tyres (different tread patterns suit different conditions)
*extra hump pack or AA Alkaline batteries (dont use AA recharables in the radio box)
*clutch bell and extra bearings
*extra wheel bearings
*front and rear drive shafts
*a spare set of steering knuckles(renowned for breaking during heavy landings, most people call it crashing)
*extra screws to replace any that come loose and get lost
*always handy, loctite and CA glue and WD40
*air cleaner foams
*M3, M4, M5 grub screws
*shock ends
*exhaust gaskets, and springs
*fuel line
*zippie ties
*spare pull start

you dont need it all, but it pays to have some back up parts on hand for when things go pear shaped(usually happens on Sundays and Public Holidays when everything is closed) or when you are no where near a hobby store:bang:

·
Registered
715 Posts
my glow plug on my hyper 7 has lasted about 10 L of fuel

·
Registered
814 Posts
What I've heard about rechargeable batteries is that every time you recharge they may not hold as much charge and die uber-quick. Which causes your vehicle to run away from home, apply for the dole and then join a circus after they've learnt how to pack themselves in a suitcase.
I could be wrong about that though so anyone feel free to call me a nutjob.:)

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
What I've heard about rechargeable batteries is that every time you recharge they may not hold as much charge and die uber-quick. Which causes your vehicle to run away from home, apply for the dole and then join a circus after they've learnt how to pack themselves in a suitcase.
Nutjob:D:thumb:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nutjob:D:thumb:

ahhahahah +1

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
izzat the opposite of a bolt job... :rolleyes:

Plugs come in different qualities as well; other than sticking with
'good' brands some cheaper models have plated wire vs solid wire filaments

the plated versions will "wearout" but still keep glowing when on warmer;
but won't keep the engine running after you take the warmer off

Even the good brands will have dud plugs every so often, common failure
is pressure leakage between the 2 terminals (see fuel bubbling out).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
agreed with zoomer also you should start using lipo's, 1 battery can last over 1hr run time.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
*extra hump pack or AA Alkaline batteries (dont use AA recharables in the radio box)
why not rechargeable
AA Alkaline = 1.5v per cell, 4 x 1.5v = 6v
AA Recharable = 1.2v per cell, 4 x 1.2v = 4.8v

most RC electrical systems require 5v or better to run correctly, most failsafes kick in around 4.8v too prevent runaways, Hump packs and flatpacks are 5 x 1.2v cells to total 6v

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
agreed with zoomer also you should start using lipo's, 1 battery can last over 1hr run time.
Why not just go to LiFe battery packs and eliminate the need for a regulator, 1700mah 6.6v liFe should give you close to 2 hours run time and still charges the same speed as a lipo and a lot more stable.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Why not just go to LiFe battery packs and eliminate the need for a regulator, 1700mah 6.6v liFe should give you close to 2 hours run time and still charges the same speed as a lipo and a lot more stable.
yes i agree but life battery are still bulky not all fit in radio boxes until they do we have to live with lipo's but don't let them get under 6.4volts.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
why not rechargeable
AA Alkaline = 1.5v per cell, 4 x 1.5v = 6v
AA Recharable = 1.2v per cell, 4 x 1.2v = 4.8v

most RC electrical systems require 5v or better to run correctly, most failsafes kick in around 4.8v too prevent runaways, Hump packs and flatpacks are 5 x 1.2v cells to total 6v
another thing with alkaline and AA rechargeable batteries is when the battery is getting low,the receiver is only giving half power to steering servo or the (throttle or brake) depending which one came in first.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
yes i agree but life battery are still bulky not all fit in radio boxes until they do we have to live with lipo's but don't let them get under 6.4volts.
Intellect LiFe 1700mah pack is slightly smaller in size than a 5 cell hump pack.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Intellect LiFe 1700mah pack is slightly smaller in size than a 5 cell hump pack.
i can't fit hump packs in my radio box.:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.