Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have just completed the 'heat cycle' break in on my new SavageXL, I'm hoping someone can give me the nod for using a McCoy No.9 plug in my K5.9 engine.
The reason for asking this is that I have a heap of them and they look very similar in coil size and plug hole size. They're both a cold plug and, I've torched the HPI R5 plug when I leaned out the HSN with final tuning.
Just on a side note, this engine is far better in all respects on comparison with my other K5.9.
Are they all this hit and miss?
My other engine is a dog and this one is great.
I'm going to mod this one out with carbon fibre everything, so I hope it goes harder after that mod!
:thumb:
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
From my experience,you make the engine lazy,if you be to kind to it from the start it will be a sluggish engine so in another work make the engine work hard without going overboard with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my experience,you make the engine lazy,if you be to kind to it from the start it will be a sluggish engine so in another work make the engine work hard without going overboard with it.
Yes mate, I agree with you 100%!
Both have been run in exactly the same, run for 3 minutes at varying throttle to half throttle with a slightly rich setting, shut down and let cool and then 3 minutes run time again for a total of 15-20 minutes. Then tuned slightly leaner and run for 4-5 minute runs varying throttle from half to full (only for a second or 2) for a total of 25 minutes, then full tune and varying speeds for 15 minutes. I leaned the HSN needle for only one WOT run, which I spotted right away as being too lean, but the damage to the plug had already been done, it's black and the element is slightly crushed back up into the body. The piston and head button have a nice golden colour to them already and no signs of 'sandblasting' or pitting.
I'm very happy with this engine, the other engine is a lot harder to tune.
I'm going to try the McCoy No.9 this arvo, I'll see how it goes. These are all I use in my boat engines.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The McCoy is a touch longer than normal, although will last longer than normal
. you do realise the 9 is a cold plug right?

its winter..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The McCoy is a touch longer than normal, although will last longer than normal
. you do realise the 9 is a cold plug right?

its winter..
Yep, thanks for that.
I prefer colder plugs, I just don't like the idea of a coil going through my engine, I haven't had any performance issues today in trying the No.9 in the engine, but time will tell I guess.
I tried to get some McCoy No.8's, but no joy at my LHS, they did offer me some 'Enya'? (spelling) plugs, but seeing as though I don't have any experience with them,
I left it.
What brand plug do you guys recommend?

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts