Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my Savage not changing into 2nd Gear!!!

I've tried everything Like tuning and adjustingand stuff, ive even pulled down the gear box to have a look for anything unusual.... nothing!!!

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm running a Picco 26 it should change gearsno probs given the amount of revs this motor does.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
have you finished the engine breakin etc..

We need some more info, although if everything is done correctly there has also been cases where the manufacture of the arm (shown below) has some defects that require some minior smoothing so that it can pivot properly. It is obvious when you are looking for the problem as some extra material from mould etc but you have to dismantle the whole gearbox to find it.

This page may be usefull to get an understanding what is happening in the gearbox, maybe you find an answer here:

[url]http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&th readid=1348[/url]

Other than that, some more info might be handy!

Morphy

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
One last thing, don't ajust the shift point set screw untill you know its nothing else!

Morphy

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but are you sure it isn't changing? Has it got bad top end at high revs?

The reason that I ask is that sometimes with the Picco, it bashes into second so fast, you do not know that it has changed.

If you start slowly, build throttle gradually, do you hear it change, as opposed to when you "give it a boot full"?

Just some thoughts...

Alternatively, have you checked the engagement pin inside the second gear drum? If the pin has snapped, moved, bent, the little cam will not engage.

Regards,

AUSRC

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying guys! This one's got me stumped.

I could actually hear it change when i first got it but now it just revs its head off. I tried what AUSRC suggested with coming on slow with the throttle but i couldnt hear it change. Its definately staying in first cos i tigtened it right up as an experiment to see what gear it was in.

I pulled the gear box out and it all looks fine the engagement pin isnt bent and the overal condition is very good.

I tightened the slipper and tried tuning a bit but to no avail, its got me beat!!!

I guess ill have to play with the shift screw a bit more, how touchy is it???

·
Registered
397 Posts
hey. i had the same problem for about a week until i tweaked everything.

my problem was that once it got into 2nd gear it just revved its nut off but didnt go any faster.

later i bought some new clutch shoes and that fixed my problem. now im changing gears and actually going somewhere.

l8tr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts