Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if it is possible to use "SHELL Racing Fuel A" or would you have to use the "SHELL Racing Fuel 100U"

i beleive the first on e (Fuel A)is 96% methyl alcohol(methanol) and 3% Acetone

The second is aviation Avgas (methanol)

also i know you use castor oil and synthentic oil but withthe synthetic oil is it just normal 2-stroke oil or something different

·
Registered
686 Posts
I would strongly recommend you only use fuels specifically designed for glow engines. The fuels you mention are automotive fuels and should not be used in glow engines

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knowthere is nitro, castor and synthetic oil that need to be mixed into the fuel but with normal glow engine fuelthe main ingredient is methanol. So with the second fuel i mentioned it is 100% methanol i beleive so what can be the difference betweenthe 2 unless glow engines don't use 100% methanol and waybe add something extra

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi

I mix my own feul

its better then any feul i used in shop, nice and clean

i use straight methanol and 20% nitro 10% synthetic oil

and 5% castor.

cost me around $8 a liter.

and no u cant use 2 stroke oil.

trust me if u do this keep everything clean and keep nitro very air tight coz i sucks moisture.

but u will be impressed with the results

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Braze,

Where do you source your base products... or is it a secret?

I would love to mix my own fuel, but I struggle with finding the bits.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hehe

I get the methanol from the BP depot and the oils and nitro we get from a old man that runs a shop out of his house.

But u can get the oils and nitro from some hobby shop but a little more expensive.

Where do u live?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Avgas is not pure methanol, it has some kerosene components in it too.

Racing fuels are petrol based... so they won't work. Also they are $5-10/litre when bought in those little 20L drums so where's the savings??

Nitro engines work on the Diesel principle - don't forget that!!! Although diesels are not fussy on fuel, at that size & being single cylinder you need a fuel with the same flash-point & volatility.

(Big huge multi-cylinder diesels eg in ships on the other hand... can run off any kind of combustable material, even powerdered coal.)

AUSRC said:
Where do you source your base products... or is it a secret?

I would love to mix my own fuel, but I struggle with finding the bits.

Depending on where you are & what you do, it is not hard. My dad used to do it too when he had contacts back at university (methanol, ether etc). Usual sticking point is that you usually have to buy large quantities eg whole drums.

Methanol is hygroscopic so as soon as you crack the cask, it'll start sucking in water moisture and go stale. You can reduce this by maintaining a head of nitrogen gas in the drum and reducing alcohol's contact with air at every stage of your mixing (yeah dad has N2 supplies).

Castor & synthetic oils are sold by some good hobbyshops - some ppl add extra to commercial fuels.

Nitromethane is a LOT harder to source... and is a highly dangerous liquid in pure form - just dropping a bottle might set it off. Expensive too - was over $1xx for 1L. These days it might be impossible to buy on its own without security clearance, ergo nobody stocks it for retail.

Engines don't *need* nitro to run btw. Or just buy a 45% premix and cut it with your own alco & oil.

Colouring... that's just food colouring.

Perfume/aromatics in fuel??? Don't get me started on that CRAP.

·
Registered
270 Posts
U can also but the nitro at hobby garage brisbane and caboolture

$29 a litre

1 - 8 of 8 Posts