Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every1, I recently got a traxxas revo 3.3, running with the 20% glo-max CB fuel.
This fuel doesnt have the oil content written anywhere on the bottle so I asked at LHS & was told it was 20% oil, they didnt know if it was all caster or a mix with synthetic oil aswell.
Either way, 20% oil is a fair bit but its what the LHS said is the preferred fuel for traxxas in Australia, I wouldn't really know.
What opinions do other Revo 3.3 owners/users have, or any1 that uses the 3.3 engine.
I want to have good lubrication but dont think 20% oil is really needed, but dont want to use a fuel with only 12-14% oil, around the 16% oil mark would be good, still good lubrication & hopefully a bit more power, not that a small decrease in oil content will make much difference with power.
These engines are meant to rev up to 50,000rpm so not sure if I should just keep using the glo-max or find something that might be better suited.

Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mate I doubt any of the companys that make nitro fuel will tell you there percentages,or if its castor or synthetic.This is what makes a good fuel or a dodgey one they will guard with there life.You can always make your own if you want.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Mate I doubt any of the companys that make nitro fuel will tell you there percentages,or if its castor or synthetic.This is what makes a good fuel or a dodgey one they will guard with there life.You can always make your own if you want.
It is on the front of just about every bottle, Methalol % Oil % and Nitro% as for the break down between castor and synthetic, that is less important to know, most, or if not all RC fuels are a blend of both or are full synthetic.

Reactions: ravenls1

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I'd run full castor oil, vp racing shows you what n what is in their fuel, eg 12% castor and 6% synth

If you run 20% nitro and bashing tank after tank I'd be using 20% oil, even bump it upto 25% nitro with the same amount of oil

Remember the more oil the safer at high rpm

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 1/8 buggy a few yrs back, the different fuels I tried & used back then always had the oil & nitro content.
I wouldn't mind a fuel with a mixture of both oils blended into it, both types have their good & bad points so if a mixture is used then it cant hurt, I just want something with less than 20%, 16 or 18% will still give plenty of protection if its a quality fuel & maybe a slight increase in power, it cant hurt, I look after the car & engine pretty well, no huge jumps & not to much wot.
I don't really race atm, just got the revo's a couple weeks bk, but will do some racing with my brother n other ppl on tracks we will set up out the bush, plenty of places around my area for that. Do ppl still race monster trucks ?. I still want to get the best performance though, whether racing or bashing & would rather run a fuel that is more performance orientated. Other parts on the revo will slowly be replaced to help with performance as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I run 30% nitro fuel which has a total of 11% oil content ( 3% castor oil, 6% synthetic, 1% anti foaming agent, 1% anti rust agent ) this fuel is for racing and the brand I run is Nitro X Fuels.

Lots of fuels on the market run an average of 9%-15% oils weather it be 16%-20%-25%-30% nitro content as a general rule, more than 15% oil in your fuel mix will only clog the engine and reduce the life span rather than protect the engine in my opinion

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was surprised when the bloke at the lhs said it was 20% oil in the glow max, thought it was a bit much myself, now I know why it wasn't that popular a few yrs bk at the club when I had my buggy, I never did like it, only reason I have it now is bcoz thats all they have.
The lhs here only has a couple of types of fuel & the glo max is the only 1 they have with different nitro contents, they only get the nitro-x in 30% & I dont want that, might just have to order some 20% nitro fuel with a lower oil % from somewhere.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Glo Max traditionally only runs a low oil content around the 11-12% range

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
From what i have always understood, you use a lower 10-15% oil mix in the consumer type, low reving nitro engines, pretty much anything that comes in a RTR form, that does not rev beyond about 28K rpm. And you use the higher oil mixes in pro race engines that are reving 30K plus rpm.

IS that what you would recommend Pete?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Towie, Im just going off what I was told at LHS, from the amount of smoke that comes from the exhaust, I reckon the LHS might be pretty close, even when leaned out on top & bottom end, there is still I lot of smoke coming out, much more than I was getting with the 1/8 buggy I had.
Modified & racing engines normally run better with lower oil content, not more, it helps produce more power & still lubricates them fine, More oil would possibly create a bit of extra drag on the reciprocating parts & probably wouldnt let the fuel ignite quite as easily making less power. I'm not quite sure with these nitro engines but thats how it seems from what I have read, & modified or racing engines would be build with much closer tolerances & be better balanced than standard type engines so would run better & wouldnt need as much oil. I dont want to go to a full racing fuel, just something a little better than what Im using now. Might do a bit of research & find out what fuels have what fuel/oil % ratio's.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Straight from Model Engines(Supplier of Glomax Fuels)

Glo Max is a proprietry fuel made specifically for Model Engines, It contains a Blend if both Synthetic and Castor Oils, and at a ratio of 18%.

They will not disclose the exact ratio, but going by the ratios other manufacturers use, I would estimate around 14% synthetic and 4% Castor

So very similar to the Hot Stuff Branded fuel which also runs 18% (14+4)

IMO....slightly higher oil content than I like, I will be sticking with the brands I currently use....Boost for cruising and playing, and Purple Rush for the racing, I have found both to be reliable and of a consistent quality and suited to what I use them for.

I have been selling Boost for many years now, and had no complaints in relation to it's shelf life or quality, engines tune well on it, and for just bashing about, is a reasonable price

I have only been running and selling Purple Rush for a little under a year, but have had good results with it, the quality is definately there, supply is reliable and consistent. I currently have several racers using it and they are happy with the results, which I feel speaks for itself.

Over the years I have seen many new fuels hit the shelves and within a short period of time, become hard to get, quality changes, and all kinds of other issues arise, so to find a fuel that works like it should, remains consistent in it's formula, and is always available as required is a relief.
To find it locally is just a bonus.

The other point that I think is worth mentioning....Nitro engines require regular maintainance & cleaning, they are not like an electric engine that can be shoved in a cupboard and forgotten about for weeks or months on end and then pulled out and expected to run.
Failure to clean the old fuel out after a days running, clean air filters, clean tanks, and the application of a good after run oil all contribute to the degredation of the engine.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
This data is outdated and from their earlier fuel blends...sorry, have updated the info on the current fuel.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that info Towie, the hotstuff is what I 1st started using a few yrs bk with the buggy, to much oil, I think they made a better racing type blend a few yrs bk with less oil but I havn't heard much about it. I tried a few different fuels & ended up using the Boost, found it to be pretty good in the buggy. Cant get it anywhere close to my area now though, not sure what oil content it has now either, I used 20% nitro & think it was 16% oil, have heard that the purple rush was a good fuel to, prob read about it in a book or on a furum somewhere. Might have to start getting some better fuel delivered, $60 for 4lts of glo-max is probably overkill. Finding a good fuel thats easy to get makes a difference & seems like ordering it on the net might be the best option. Will have to check some places out.
The engines & cars get looked after pretty well to, always cleaned & not flogged to hard either so they last a while, although I ended up doing a few rolls with the revo today,lol,

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I run Liquid Speed in my on road car. Cant complain, its 10% oil in the mix also.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up changing to Redback sport 20% nitro, it has 12% oil & makes a hell of a difference in the revo, easier to tune & makes a lot more power. It comes in 3 varieties, an entry level, a sport & a pro level fuel.
I thought there was only 1 lhs in my area but while looking for their website I came across another lhs that sell Nitro-X & Redback, & it was much cheaper for more fuel. I went with the Redback because they didn't have the right Nitro-X in stock. The Redback has on the label that is contains imported synthetics, high quality performance enhancers, rust inhibitors & anti wear additives. There is also small Klotz, Cool Power & Ultra Slick premium synthetics logo's on the label as well. Not sure about castor oil though.
Has anyone used or had any experience with this Redback fuel, & if so, what are your thoughts on it??. So far I'm pretty happy with it & the 3.3 seems to be a much better engine now. I was going to get 25% nitro instead but the new lhs I found didn't have it in stock, not sure if its worth changing to the 25% or just staying with the 20% nitro now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd run full castor oil, vp racing shows you what n what is in their fuel, eg 12% castor and 6% synth

If you run 20% nitro and bashing tank after tank I'd be using 20% oil, even bump it upto 25% nitro with the same amount of oil

Remember the more oil the safer at high rpm
Yeah VP do that and also AT RACING do that. Recently started using AT RACING after having horrific experience with red back racing fuel.....

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts