Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was doing the fuel clamp idea http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?29282-Reusable-fuel-line-clamps It got me thinking about fuel bottles.

How about this for an idea!

I thought about how fuel gets contaminated due to the air left in the bottle condensing after some fuel has been removed and came to this idea.

Why not put fuel in a black soft plastic bag with a on-way valve on the opening something like the RC boaties use in their boats. It could even have a fuel tube on the opening for easy tank refueling. No need for fuel filler bottles anymore!

It would keep the air out and being black the sun wouldn't get to it either. I guess it would be cheaper for shipping as well because there would be less wasted space inside the shipping box.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Not a bad idea. if you get extreme you could do what they do with other things like wine etc... and pump nitrogen in to force the fuel out of the container then there is no air only nitrogen in the bottle.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is way over the top! Way to expensive as well!

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I think it would be easier to use the fuel so it didn't go off.

A plastic bag setup would be asking for trouble.........the slightest catch on a sharpish edge in the car or toolbox means nitro fuel everywhere.

Store it in the dark at home.......I don't think a few hours in the shade on race day effects it too much.

I use to get months out of my nitro with poper care.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another idea bites the dust! I wonder what other bad news I have comming. It's been a bad day!

·
Registered
49 Posts
PC WIZ,

are you thinking of one of these? : http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/tank.html

Bubbless tanks

I would imagine this idea would be a good idea in a car tank ? (no experience in RC cars) but I reckon there would be heaps of vibration that this would help with fuel foaming..... silly question - do cars use a clunk in the tank like aircraft?

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
... I thought about how fuel gets contaminated due to the air left in the bottle condensing after some fuel has been removed and came to this idea.

Why not put fuel in a black soft plastic bag with a on-way valve on the opening something like the RC boaties use in their boats. It could even have a fuel tube on the opening for easy tank refueling. No need for fuel filler bottles anymore!

It would keep the air out and being black the sun wouldn't get to it either. I guess it would be cheaper for shipping as well because there would be less wasted space inside the shipping box.

What do you think?
i think you've be lubricating the thinkin' cells inspired by this... ;)

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Zoomer! You still around I see.

Nah, it's stricktly beer only for me these days and not very much of that either.

Hows things? You still hanging at rctech?

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
PC WIZ,

are you thinking of one of these? : http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/tank.html

Bubbless tanks

I would imagine this idea would be a good idea in a car tank ? (no experience in RC cars) but I reckon there would be heaps of vibration that this would help with fuel foaming..... silly question - do cars use a clunk in the tank like aircraft?
Those tanks from the link look to be a great idea, no air, no leaning out, now if someone can mold one to mount in a truck/buggy, it might make tuning easier and more even, no bottom of the tank lean out.
Technically there would be no reason to drain the tank either, if you were finished for the day, just clamp the line, run the engine dry and do your after-run prceedure. The remaining fuel in the tank has no air, so no contaminents, it could remain there unaffected.
Would also work for larger transport containers, in a container not unlike a wine cask, again no air, no problems. It would be more expensive to begin with, but a re-useable fuel can is refillable, cutting down on waste as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Towie,

the DIY version of these bubbless tanks is a balloon inside the tank, connected to the fuel in and out, but not the exhaust pressure line, that goes between the tank and the balloon. (I'm talking Aircraft) would that work on a car tank ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Storing the bottle upside down also helps

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best thing in the world for storing your fuel bottles in, has to be coles (or whatever) zip up cold bags, no light gets through them, they are spill proof, and more temp stable than most other options, stumbled over the idea a year or so ago...

Considering how tough the bags also are, I use them for a few things, even keep my tyre truer in one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts