Australian RC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Having just upgraded to the Wasp in my Savage, I have experienced something new. I am used to small block engines, with full threaded shafts and a flywheel "washer". This pilot shaft thing - whoa...!!!

Removing the clutch nut was the first hurdle - how do you stop the crank turning while you losen the clutch nut? I read about tools that lock the piston, tools that lock the crank, filling the cylider with shock oil and hydrolocking the engine, I read them all. I also read that any method that is physically loading the engine that way can still cause damage, particularly to the brass bush in the bottom of the rod.

My solution - I split a piece of fuel line, wrapped it around the flywheel, then gripped it with multi grips. I then took my 4 way wrench and got the clutch nut undone. You beauty - and no damage to the flywheel.

Next, the flywheel is hanging on to that collet so tight, it wouldn't come off. Once again, lots of reading, tap it of with a hammer, pop it of with a large flat head screw driver- but all with the warning - make sure you do not bend the crank shaft - yeah right.. like that's going to be easy. I eventually got it off using the lare screw driver, but I don't recommend it. Apparently a "Battery Terminal Puller" is the perfect solution, so I will have a look next time I am at Bunnings or Supercheap.

Bottom line - I got the job done, and learned a bit along the way.

I open the forum to anyone who has other suggestions, or knows of any you beaut tools that can assist in the job.

Thanks,

AUSRCEdited by: AUSRC

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hehehe, Yeah, it can be a real biatch!!

The best thing to use for tightening and loosening the nut is to make a specific flywheel tool to suit your particular flywheel.

Get a piece of steel around 2 or 3mm thick, around 25mm wide and about 80mm long. Firstly drill a large hole in the centre at one end of the steel. This hole is for your shaft to slide through. Then mark out where the 3 pins on the flyheel would be and drill 3 small holes just large enough for the pins to fit through.

There you have it!! Flywheel tool!!

This way you canm easily hold the flywheel while doing up or undoing the nut. I will post some pictures of mine tonight.

As for the collet, well yes, a small puller makes the job real easy!! I have one that is just right for RC applications and makes this part of the job a breeze.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shaun,

Can't wait for the pics, what a great idea. Isn't it amazing that such a simple and effective method didn't even cross my mind.

Regards

AUSRC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts