Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im a newbie to this forum, but i really hope someone can help me. I have a few nitro cars but all with pull starts. This is my first Rotostart Nitro Truck and Im having so much trouble with it :(

I bought a brand New HPI Savage XL Truck, I filled the tank for the first time, primed it by blocking the exhaust and then trying to start it with the rotostart, after a few turns the roto start stopped turning and would just jam. I thought bugger ive flooded it! so i took out the glow plug thinking like a pull start, if you take out the plug flip it and turn it over it will drain the fuel and then I can get it going again. But no luck i took out the plug turned it over and tried to turn it over with the starter and nothing! it just jamms. I rang the shop and he told me to try to turn the cog (Gear) manually to release the engine, tried that and no luck it wont move! Ive got an expensive box atm sitting in my garage and im really upset. Can anyone help me please ????

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey mate, where are you located?

Is the rotor start fully charged too, the reason I ask this is that, if it is flat, it won't turn the motor over properly.

If you bought it from a shop, then ask them to have a look at it for you, because if it is a warranty issue and you start pulling stuff apart, thta may affect the warranty.

Cheers Dave.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem with my 5.9, my roto start wasn't fully charged. It spun fast but lacked the torque needed to turn over the engine while it was running so rich. You could try loosening the glow plug 1/4 a turn as well, to ease off the compression. Just tighten it back up once it's running. I also leaned the bottom end 1/2 a turn before it even thought about starting. That engine is so rich at factory settings! You're probably not flooding it with the priming, it's flooding it's self because it's taking so much fuel through the carby. Even now my XL is completely run in, it still won't start at factory settings. Dont start doubting the engine just yet, personally I reckon it's beaut, goes like a shower of the proverbial.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys, Much appreciated with all comments, Savage600 im in Epping Melb VIC, I would love to take it back to the shop but they are in Sydney :(
Jords, I suspected as much because my HPI Nitro RS4 I bought a year ago I had to readjust completely as it was insanely rich!. Ill charge up my starter tonight and give it a go this weekend and see how it goes :) Will let you guys all know thankyou so much :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Good to hear you got her going, another good trick with new engines is to hit em with the hairdryer, makes em a bit easier to kick over :) Make sure you check for smoke so you know it isn't too lean, good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.