Australian RC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted my first shell tonight. I'll upload some more pictures after I've detail stickered it tommorrow.

I think it turned out ok so far? Opinions?
Jerrah.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Mate it looks pretty good to me... although I'm not a Ford man, I must say they are looking better over the last few years.

Did you cut out the holes for the motor & tank yourself? They look like a pretty neat job.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Skidd.

I roughly located the motor/fuel tank holeswith a body reamer, then I used curved sissors to cut between the reamed holes. Finally I heated a hobby knife over a candle and used it to slice the edges clean. If you look closely at the holes themselves they're still a little rough - no where as clean as a Dremel cut hole - but I still think a fair job considering how I did it.

The funny thing is I bought a 'fake dremel'($40 from supercheap)today only days after I cut this body out.

Jerrah.

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
jerrah said:
If you look closely at the holes themselves they're still a little rough - no where as clean as a Dremel cut hole - but I still think a fair job considering how I did it.

The funny thing is I bought a 'fake dremel'($40 from supercheap)today only days after I cut this body out.

Jerrah.

Mate I've got a real Dremel (I work for a Hardware Chain) and I spent last night cutting excess from a replacement body... and those look every bit as good as I could get with all the 'proper' tools.

Can't wait to see it all finished.

BTW... what is the hole in the LH side for?Edited by: Skidd

·
Registered
660 Posts
looks good to me like the flames down the side

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
herb said:
That looks great

Can i ask what type of paintyou used and where you got it from ?

Thank you.

It's just Tamiya metalic red, and metalic silver. I'm sure Zoomer knows the paint codes.

I'll post exactly which colour codes when I get home.

The paint just came from my LHS.

Jerrah.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
For all the Tamiya paint codes, just go here: http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/ps.htm

I don't bother with Dremel on bodyshells... take it you guys use the little 10mm sanding drum? Very hard to get a straight line, very hard to do a perfect curve on the wheelarches - so gave up.

Now I score and tear the lexan, can do any shape you want. Ream out the corners so you never have sharp 90degree bends.

When I wash the body I just use sandpaper (~400grit) wrapped around a ruler for straight lines, wrap it around something round for the arches.

(Takes less time than digging Dremel out of cupboard.)

·
Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I use a jigsaw to cut the bodys out, especially the proline ones which are mega thick!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I've been busy and haven't had a chance to 'sticker' my new body, so I just took a shot tonight on the chassis, and I most certainly won't run my new body tommorrow before I get a chance to take a photo of it 'stickered' and in one piece.

Well here it is!

·
AUSRC Moderator
6,275 Posts
Swwweeetttt MATE!

It'll be a pity to see it go bashing. Iknow having just painted my very 1st body... I'm going to hate to see it bet bashed up, but tha's what they're for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.